Best Non Softball Sport for Softball Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
well, DD2s last tech suit ($300) went from just above knees to armpits with nice wide shoulder straps. only took her and her sister about 20 minutes to get it on each time. and oh yeah, they only are good for about 7-10 days of swimming.

Jun 8, 2016
well, DD2s last tech suit ($300)

only are good for about 7-10 days of swimming.
and yet you just suggested swimming..is this one of those misery loves company sort of thing? 😂

Everyone who complains about Ghosts should have to read that 😉

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
We have tried to find a secondary sport for DD for the last two years. She won’t have it. Softball softball softball for her.

If her school ball (Jr High) wasn’t in Spring she would have done track & field this year.

She plays basketball and volleyball with friends multiple times a week. Yes it’s not a club/competitive team but it’s different movements and great exercise. And she has fun.

For 8th grade she’ll be taking strength and conditioning in addition to softball.

Mar 15, 2019
California
I know it was stated that basketball may not be that great of an option due to the amount of time needed to develop skill, but for my kids, basketball has been the next best sport they've liked vs. softball/baseball. For us, its a good offseason sport when softball/baseball slow down (Nov-Feb). I like basketball for its need to be explosive, quick, tough, and especially the situational plays. I like when the IQ kicks in and they see holes in the defense, know where their teammate will move to, and recognize a play or two in advance to score or play shutdown defense. This translates to those times in softball where you have a lot of movement on the field, both offense and defense, and can just react instead of think. The fast pace of basketball is what I like to see translated to the field. It's also a good challenge to teach them to put in hard work in a short amount of time as they need to "catch up" to be competitive in basketball.

May 6, 2015
and yet you just suggested swimming..is this one of those misery loves company sort of thing? 😂

Everyone who complains about Ghosts should have to read that 😉
not every swimmer uses a tech suit, DD wanted to take it to next level, like everything

luckily no competitions this past winter due to covid, so no tech suit needed ;)

Feb 1, 2021
We have tried to find a secondary sport for DD for the last two years. She won’t have it. Softball softball softball for her.

If her school ball (Jr High) wasn’t in Spring she would have done track & field this year.

She plays basketball and volleyball with friends multiple times a week. Yes it’s not a club/competitive team but it’s different movements and great exercise. And she has fun.

For 8th grade she’ll be taking strength and conditioning in addition to softball.

My DD is the same and did the same her freshman year. Once she started lifting, that was her second passion. When she put on her prom dress last year, the first thing she did was flex the guns. Lol.

Aug 25, 2019
DD plays field hockey in the fall, good for all the running around they do, and she plays defense so she can really crack the ball upfield, which I credit her softball swing with.

Dec 5, 2017
DD started playing middle school basketball last fall. Her progress handling the ball has been unreal, coordination has always been her strong suit. She just finished track last night-100m, 100m hurdles, long jump, and 4x400. She has kicked butt for a skinny legged little 6th grader competing against the 7th and 8th graders. She always finishes top 3-4 in everything but hurdles, usually 7/8 range. She never practiced hurdles, just decided to sign up at the last two meets and really liked it. I'm actually looking forward to the next two years of middle school track, I think she will be very competitive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles