Best plans for finding a new school to transfer to..?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
Here is the case - hypothetically speaking of coarse....... :
A pitcher gets a great scholarship to a college.
Just before the pitcher starts at the college the HC that "hired" this pitcher leaves.
College hires a new HC from a completely different part of the country.
New HC decides to not play this pitcher, even for one pitch - even in the face of terrible ERA's on the rest of the squad. (obvious strong message in this - whatever the details may be)
HC and pitcher have a "come to Jesus" meeting and agree they must part ways.

Staring at just a summer's time to find a new college softball home, what is the best way to secure a new team? (assuming the new school has the acedemic match the pitcher needs)

What should be the considerations for "Walk-On", "Preferred Walk-On", or is there even a hope for renewed athletic scholarship assistance if the pitcher has not faced an in-game batter all spring season long???

Anybody know anything about transfers and how these details might apply?

Oct 3, 2009
Just before the pitcher starts at the college the HC that "hired" this pitcher leaves.
New HC decides to not play this pitcher, even for one pitch - even in the face of terrible ERA's on the rest of the squad. (obvious strong message in this - whatever the details may be)

Staring at just a summer's time to find a new college softball home, what is the best way to secure a new team? (assuming the new school has the acedemic match the pitcher needs)

What should be the considerations for "Walk-On", "Preferred Walk-On", or is there even a hope for renewed athletic scholarship assistance if the pitcher has not faced an in-game batter all spring season long???

I am probably giving you the dumb and obvious suggestions you and your DD already know but here goes:

1) Can you contact the coach that gave the scholarship and left? Is she coaching somewhere else? Even if she is not they all have networks and my guess is she would be willing to work that network and put in the good word for her?

2) Contact all the coaches who were recruiting her and do the same as above.

3) Is the current coach willing to help? Obviously there is something going on but would she be willing to help her find a new home?

4) This ship may have sailed and maybe they are saying they are pulling the scholarship but any chance she can stay and fight for pitching time? Again that may not be possible based on what you posted.

5) How about coaches in the conference? The fact she received a scholarship from a school in that conference means that a peer program saw enough talent in her to invest their very limited dollars. They would be a logical choice.

6) Start the process new with schools who fit. Send video and explain the situation.

You can probably do most all of these suggestions in parallel. Again I probably stated the obvious but hope that helped. And I hope things work out.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

If it is any consolation your DD is in a better position that most as typically this is done at the end of the season. That said you must find the school where she can add value. I would go back to some of the schools that may have previously expressed an interest and she how their pitching staff is performing. Beyond that look at various schools that may fit her academic requirements and see if they need some help. As the season winds down there will be lots of coming and goings you just need to stay in front of the coaches and let them know she is available. Her situation is not unlike my DD's who went NJCAA with the expectation that there would be a team that would need her after two years in JUCO. As it happened Carolina had a pitcher transfer out which provided an opportunity. As long as she is somewhat flexible an opportunity is sure to present itself. There is always the possibility of money becoming available with a departure of another player but if she can come on as a preferred walk on of minimal scholarship schools may be very interested. Things happen for a reason and this is a beginning not an end.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
AndyS & Rise – thanks for the bounce-back.

As for looking into the original HC that recruited the said-pitcher – unfortunately not an option due to circumstances out of said-pitchers control.

As for the current HC yes the words are there for supporting the said-pitcher in finding a new home BUT I hesitate exercising this based on the fact that it takes a cold heart to drive things the way it was played out. How can ya trust somebody who can do these things so coldly? Yes it’s a business in the end but think about it – you have a struggling pitching staff and you decide to not give another pitcher even a chance to help so you can go after securing your biggest overall scholarship purse. This is personal and pointed. If the said pitcher got a chance and got hammered then this picture would be completely different and there was nothing to lose but another game.

Yes said-pitcher did not have to leave now but the way things have occurred how can one have hope to a chance next year especially when the new HC’s first self-recruited pitchers are then on the scene? (JUCO & Freshmen)

To me it was all a closed chapter once no chance was offered to help pitch in 2015.

So I thought the process of said-pitcher finding a new team might be different as an incoming sophomore than a HS player but maybe it’s not. But I have basic questions like should said-pitcher get back onto a TB team for this summer? Etc. As always just looking to make sure all tasks are considered from now til fall 2015 semester.

Thanks again.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
AndyS & Rise – thanks for the bounce-back.

As for looking into the original HC that recruited the said-pitcher – unfortunately not an option due to circumstances out of said-pitchers control.

As for the current HC yes the words are there for supporting the said-pitcher in finding a new home BUT I hesitate exercising this based on the fact that it takes a cold heart to drive things the way it was played out. How can ya trust somebody who can do these things so coldly? Yes it’s a business in the end but think about it – you have a struggling pitching staff and you decide to not give another pitcher even a chance to help so you can go after securing your biggest overall scholarship purse. This is personal and pointed. If the said pitcher got a chance and got hammered then this picture would be completely different and there was nothing to lose but another game.

Yes said-pitcher did not have to leave now but the way things have occurred how can one have hope to a chance next year especially when the new HC’s first self-recruited pitchers are then on the scene? (JUCO & Freshmen)

To me it was all a closed chapter once no chance was offered to help pitch in 2015.

So I thought the process of said-pitcher finding a new team might be different as an incoming sophomore than a HS player but maybe it’s not. But I have basic questions like should said-pitcher get back onto a TB team for this summer? Etc. As always just looking to make sure all tasks are considered from now til fall 2015 semester.

Thanks again.

I would definitely get her on a TB team and into showcases leaving no stone unturned to get her exposure. Although she did not get any college game experience the fact that she made it through her first year of college classes is certainly a plus. If you can get her mechanics straightened out and her throwing well she will find a home where she can add value to the program. Based on her lack of playing time is a red shirt a possibility?

Dec 7, 2011
I would definitely get her on a TB team and into showcases leaving no stone unturned to get her exposure. Although she did not get any college game experience the fact that she made it through her first year of college classes is certainly a plus. If you can get her mechanics straightened out and her throwing well she will find a home where she can add value to the program. Based on her lack of playing time is a red shirt a possibility?

She had one at bat,...... got a hit!,.... but one at-bat to kill the red-shirt idea.

I am hoping that her straight-A's in pre-med might help her find a new home. I am also looking to get her some time with a PC that is more of an inspirational influence than a mecahnical correction device. She'll get the ole magical late-break riseball back :) (please everyone - this was not meant to bring back up the break of a riseball again..... ;) )

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
She had one at bat,...... got a hit!,.... but one at-bat to kill the red-shirt idea.

I am hoping that her straight-A's in pre-med might help her find a new home. I am also looking to get her some time with a PC that is more of an inspirational influence than a mecahnical correction device. She'll get the ole magical late-break riseball back :) (please everyone - this was not meant to bring back up the break of a riseball again..... ;) )

How about a medical hardship? Most players at this stage have enough wear and tear to qualify even if they could technically play through it.

Oct 3, 2009

I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but did they give her that AB just to kill the redshirt? And this may sound stupid again but have you verified one AB does indeed kill the redshirt?

I agree completely with Rise the fact she had a coach offer her a scholarship, she has great grades in a college year will help her find her fit. I also agree with getting her on a TB team. This could happen to any of our DDs and anybody who does not worry about this scenario in my view is kidding themselves.

Dec 7, 2011
How about a medical hardship? Most players at this stage have enough wear and tear to qualify even if they could technically play through it.

We were told medical red-shirt had to happen before 30% of the season expired. I have not dug into the validity of this.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We were told medical red-shirt had to happen before 30% of the season expired. I have not dug into the validity of this.

Yeah, while I am not 100% up on hardship rules and reporting requirement I know this is absolutely not right.

Hardship is determined by NCAA D1 MEDICAL HARD SHIP (RED SHIRT) REGULATIONS 14.2.4
Medical Hardship Requirements
The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.
Lots and lots of documentation

How to Get a Medical Redshirt
WVSU Athletic Compliance Rules Education Page: Medical HardShip Regulations NJCAA-NAIA-NCAA

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish