Best plans for finding a new school to transfer to..?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
HC and pitcher have a "come to Jesus" meeting and agree they must part ways.
Anybody know anything about transfers and how these details might apply?
Sorry to hear it came to this. I'd start with the school's NCAA compliance officer to get a full understanding of DD's situation, including options and restrictions with/without coach's cooperation.
- Is there any way to get year of eligibility restored/added?
- Does she still need coach's permission to talk to other schools? If so, for how long and how does she get it?
- How to proceed so she can play next year without having to sit a year (i.e. One-Time Transfer Exception)?
- What are the conference rules regarding transfers? Many require sitting a year if transfer is within conference.

I agree you shouldn't count on the coach helping her find a new school. However, it is still important to have the old coach's cooperation in the process.
- Beyond parting by mutual agreement, agree on an explanation for why it occurred that the old coach will support and won't raise red flags with prospective coaches.
- Coach's permission is usually needed before talking to any school.
- Coach's cooperation may be needed to get one-time exemption from NCAA's transfer rule's requirement to sit a year.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
To briefly say what I attempted to say to RB in the pm is that D-II is a great option if a family/player is not caught up in the quest to be D-I. I wouldn't play at just any D-II and would do my research. Still, some of these schools play a great schedule. For example, UMSL has gone to Arizona 2 of the last 4 years. They play down South each year in either Arkansas or Alabama. They have talked about going to Florida but have not done so as of yet. Then, the conference one looks at is another consideration. There are some fantastic D-II conferences and there are some that are mediocre to poor when compared to the the top.

Ok, so enough of my D-II rant. I appreciate the level of competition and the ability for all of the teams to dream about national titles instead of having the Big 10, Big 12, Pac ??, or SEC to go through. LOL

Dec 7, 2011
To briefly say what I attempted to say to RB in the pm is that D-II is a great option if a family/player is not caught up in the quest to be D-I. I wouldn't play at just any D-II and would do my research. Still, some of these schools play a great schedule. For example, UMSL has gone to Arizona 2 of the last 4 years. They play down South each year in either Arkansas or Alabama. They have talked about going to Florida but have not done so as of yet. Then, the conference one looks at is another consideration. There are some fantastic D-II conferences and there are some that are mediocre to poor when compared to the the top.

Ok, so enough of my D-II rant. I appreciate the level of competition and the ability for all of the teams to dream about national titles instead of having the Big 10, Big 12, Pac ??, or SEC to go through. LOL

I think what DD fears the most with going "down" a division is just the thought-to-be increased possibility that you find less committed/passionate/disciplined organizations and players. We have heard some horror stories where reports back from other DD's we know say "this is just a bigger high school where softball is just an after-thought". My DD cringes at the thought of not being surrounded by committed/passionate/discipline. (this means academic too! - don't want teams that single out great academic performance and use this as a reason to bully)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
RB, the same could be said at any division. Believe me, there are many many D-I programs that pale in comparison with regards to commitment etc. with the top D-II programs. The same applies to academics. I do understand your point and wish both your family and DD well on this journey. As I often tell my DD, life is nothing but peaks and valleys. When you are in your deepest valley, get that smile ready. A peak is coming up.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
So sorry to hear about your hypothetical situation. Here are some random thoughts.

1) I would explore every possibility to have the one year of eligibility restored. Surely one official AB does not ruin a redshirt season. I am not a doctor, but I am pretty sure your DD has a bad case of tendonitis in her elbow.....you should have that checked.
2) I would spread the word - do an aggressive email/phone/text campaign to any school that your DD may be remotely interested in.
3) College coaches are like a fraternity, and well connected coaches know what other coaches are looking for. Pitchers are always in demand. Get the word out to as many coaches as you can.
4) Widen your geographic search area. You may have to travel outside of your comfort zone to find the right opportunity.
5) Do an updated skills video you can email to coaches.
6) Find a TB team that is doing showcases this Summer and let coaches know you will be there.
7) Going to a smaller school to reestablish herself may be your best option - "one step back, two steps forward"!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I think what DD fears the most with going "down" a division is just the thought-to-be increased possibility that you find less committed/passionate/disciplined organizations and players. We have heard some horror stories where reports back from other DD's we know say "this is just a bigger high school where softball is just an after-thought". My DD cringes at the thought of not being surrounded by committed/passionate/discipline. (this means academic too! - don't want teams that single out great academic performance and use this as a reason to bully)

Given your DD's academic performance her freshman year have you looked at any of the top academic schools? Any chance could qualify for academic money? A lot of coaches would LOVE to have a player who does not need any athletic money!

Dec 7, 2011
RB, the same could be said at any division. Believe me, there are many many D-I programs that pale in comparison with regards to commitment etc. with the top D-II programs. The same applies to academics. I do understand your point and wish both your family and DD well on this journey. As I often tell my DD, life is nothing but peaks and valleys. When you are in your deepest valley, get that smile ready. A peak is coming up.

To me this is the akin to the "Meaning of Life". I wish I would have earlier in life not fought so hard to control the peaks and valleys that WILL happen and just enjoy the ride more (even through the valleys find the silver lining). One of my favorite movies (Parenthood - with Steve Martin) has Steve Martin fighting and struggling through many peaks and valleys of his life and it took his grandma to give him the analogy on the rollercoaster for him to open his eyes:

Grandma:
"
You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster.

Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride!

I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.
"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd