When to let a new slapper .... Slap for the 1st time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
thanks every especially Sparky Guy!

She did ok they had her slap the 1st game and she got on base she got injured in a nasty slide into home. She didn't play the next game. To get her over the injury and get her confidence back up she was allowed to go back to right the last two games......Next tournament no more Right for her only Left.....the fact she got on base was a big deal!!!

I really appreciate all the positive and informative feedback.

Jun 27, 2021
Yesterday and everyday moving forward. If she's still hitting from the right side and taking reps on the right side then that will slow the process, development. Either commit to slapping or keep her on the right side, back and forth isn't worth it. Let her fly

Jun 27, 2021
thanks every especially Sparky Guy!

She did ok they had her slap the 1st game and she got on base she got injured in a nasty slide into home. She didn't play the next game. To get her over the injury and get her confidence back up she was allowed to go back to right the last two games......Next tournament no more Right for her only Left.....the fact she got on base was a big deal!!!

I really appreciate all the positive and informative feedback.
damn, missed this post before I posted my after the fact.

Apr 11, 2016
Only against a fast pitcher. Slapping requires waiting for the ball to cross the plate so you can slap it down the left field line. It requires patience. Against a slow pitcher, the slapper would usually slap too early and risk the ball going directly to the SS. DD would not slap unless she is facing a fast pitcher. If a pitcher is slow, consider letting your slapper drag-bunt, giving her the chance to at least do her footwork. If she gets on base, it'll give her that much more confidence.

At her lesson, DD's coach would have her do drag-bunt, slap, then hit away in that order multiple times to get the feel of the differences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28