When to let a new slapper .... Slap for the 1st time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
I got a brand new slapper. Who has never slapped against a pitcher, but looks awesome in a cage (12U 40 and 50 mph in the cage)

We are debating on weather to let her slap in her up coming tournament. I think she needs to go against a pitcher in practice before putting her in a game.

She is a righty that we switch to left slapping.

From the right she very seldom strikes out..but she hits to the pitcher or up 1st baseline line so its always a foot race......

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
How do you steer a parked car? That's right. You can't. You gotta give it some gas!

What are you waiting for? Game reps, Game reps, Game reps! For most becoming a decent slapper takes time and often times it's frustrating to watch as the player is learning. It might seem that they strike out a lot, and can't put the pull in play, etc, but it takes lots of time to learn the different aspects of the skill. I had a kid in 10U Allstars that was learning to slap and she sucked! I wanted instant success and needed her to produce at the plate. She is playing D1 in the NE.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I got a brand new slapper. Who has never slapped against a pitcher, but looks awesome in a cage (12U 40 and 50 mph in the cage)

We are debating on weather to let her slap in her up coming tournament. I think she needs to go against a pitcher in practice before putting her in a game.

She is a righty that we switch to left slapping.

From the right she very seldom strikes out..but she hits to the pitcher or up 1st baseline line so its always a foot race......
?why would you not let her?
Develop
Develop
DEVELOP

Consider giving the option of Bunt or slap to mix in.
Not good to only punch the ball back at the defense.
Adds mental strategy.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
?why would you not let her?
Develop
Develop
DEVELOP

Consider giving the option of Bunt or slap to mix in.
Not good to only punch the ball back at the defense.
Adds mental strategy.
Slappers haver lots of tools to work with but when they become a one trick pony, and punches it back to the defense the skill becomes useless. Like you said, mix it up. As they become more adept reading the defense will become necessary as well.

• tap n go
  • hard slap
  • slap into the ground for a high bounce(experience required)
  • half swing to get the ball over the infielders
  • drag bunt
  • 5/6 hole punch
  • sac bunt
  • what else ya got?

Sep 17, 2009
Is she a slapper if she doesn't actually slap? :) Cut her loose. Bat her ninth and let her work her way up to lead-off. Hopefully she can bunt too so if you NEED her to move a runner she can otherwise slap-away.

May 29, 2019
How do you steer a parked car? That's right. You can't. You gotta give it some gas!

What are you waiting for? Game reps, Game reps, Game reps! For most becoming a decent slapper takes time and often times it's frustrating to watch as the player is learning. It might seem that they strike out a lot, and can't put the pull in play, etc, but it takes lots of time to learn the different aspects of the skill. I had a kid in 10U Allstars that was learning to slap and she sucked! I wanted instant success and needed her to produce at the plate. She is playing D1 in the NE.
This is something that DD and myself can relate to. Looking back it is kinda funny, but at the time...

When DD was playing her first year of travel ball (10U), she didn't hit very well from the right side of the plate. Because of this, and for a few other reasons as well, we decided to try the left side. Her swing actually looked more "sound" from the left side, but just didn't hit the ball as far because it was still so new to her. So I approached the coach about switching her over to the left side, and his response was "No, I don't have time to develop players. I want to win right now." That was a clincher that we were not going back to that team next year. She finished out the year from the right side of the plate.

Shortly thereafter, she had a private tryout with a new team/coach. Toward the end of the tryout, I told the coach that "We've been experimenting from the left side of the plate, do you want to watch a few swings and see what you think?" He watched about three swings and said "If she plays for me, she will never see the right side. We're going lefty immediately and never looking back." That coach did the best thing possible for her career.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478