barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Yeah, don't use the ground:
Cd5T.gif

See how well that works out......

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Somebody queue up that Pujols clip of him slipping..More than likely if baseball was played on ice they would all go to no stride and scissor ;)

Yes it would require a no stride or at least in my mind.

I was swinging one time and playing with scap loading. I over did the load and almost fell down as the torque created a reverse rotation. It literally spun me around backwards.

Dec 5, 2017
I very rarely chime in on these hitting threads because I know what I don't know. However, I do know what I feel. As an unbiased observer my feel is that the hips/torso have to work in conjunction with one another to produce a powerful swing. If I coil ( dip front shoulder, scap load, show pitcher numbers, etc) and maintain that as long as I can into launch position, I feel a very powerful swing. If I try to turn only my hips, they only turn so far before being stopped by my torso. If I only swing with my upper body and don't let my hips fire, I produce a very weak, armsy feeling swing. I think it doesn't make sense to say hips or torso provide the power, they have to work as a team or you have no power. Plus, ground force reaction plays a huge part in the equation as well. No one asked me and I'm no "expert" just trying to provide some input from someone that isn't entrenched in any certain camp. I really like a lot of what Joey Meyers teaches on this subject because I can easy duplicate the things he teaches. Not saying he's right and others are wrong but I like most of his stuff as a dad trying to figure things out. I think that it's the same for a no stride hitter just minus the stride.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It’s amazing. I’ve been taken outta context constantly. Is this the only way folks can debate? LOL. Weak.

the ground is definitely used. But most kids either push off the ground or leverage the ground with a sway. Both are incorrect and leaves a hitter with a unbalanced compensatory pattern. The ground should be held onto during the swing and also used for stabilization when launching the swing.

the hips are used for rotation. Both upper and lower body take advantage of the hips. BUT THE OBLIQUES CREATE LAUNCH. The gif of shirtless Ted shows it. The middle is where the energy originates from. Counter rotation is the energy source. Sure the glutes are used to help facilitate the move forward but they are not the originator.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06