barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Add in some fyb and allow the obliques to contract and the demo makes sense.

yAqixcb.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
One problem I have, and using Nadia Taylor's videos as an example, if her swing is a swing that is inefficient and a poor push swing, the will all the coaching done with other hitters enable them to be more successful than her? She did have an outstanding college career and plays professionally. (At least the last time I looked.) At the time my dd was finishing her HS career, she was being recruited by several colleges at various levels. Then end result was a free education and having a blast in college. (Free including her academic monies. I don't want to mislead anyone that she had that rare 100% scholly.)

I'll leave the thread now and didn't intend to hijack it. Everyone carry on and stay safe.

Cannonball,

This thread was hijacked within the first few posts, and it has never recovered. Your knowledge is appreciated by many, so feel free to join in. You and yours stay safe as well.

Jul 29, 2013
You think the hips opening is how you get across the body? That’s not getting across the body. That’s spinning. That’s rotating and bringing the bat around the body.

When you’re driving and you put on the brakes suddenly everything in your car that isn’t strapped down goes flying forward right? That’s what the hips do in the elite swing. That’s how you get across your body. That the decel. It’s reciprocal rotation.
Everything in the car that isn't strapped down continues going forward because the braking doesn't act on those things. There's no need to stop the car in order to get the items in the car to move forward. They are already moving forward and objects in motion stay in motion unless acted upon by a force.

You've indicated in the past that you think those untethered items accelerate. They do not, and neither will the bat unless acted upon by a force. They merely continue on their original path at the same speed they're already traveling. Braking doesn't positively accelerate anything.
You will get the bat across your body, but the handle/barrel relationship will not change resulting in permanent bat lag.
That's why hands to the ball is such a bad philosophy.

The reciprocal motion you so desire necessitates that the handle be acted upon perpendicularly to create a torque and then the barrel, continuing on its original path, will be accelerated/turned. Equal and opposite.
Remember acceleration is change of speed in a direction. Change the direction via turning, create acceleration in the direction of the turn and all the "loose" items will go flying in the opposite (reciprocal?) direction. Momentum is conserved angularly. No braking! (braking converts the kinetic energy into potential energy or heat)
Same principle applies to the pelvis, torso, and shoulders. Same principle applies in TTB movement.
Want to get the barrel to extend/swing/turn? Get the bat moving and then pull on the handle in the opposite direction.
Simple physics.

Jul 29, 2013
You think the hips opening is how you get across the body? That’s not getting across the body. That’s spinning. That’s rotating and bringing the bat around the body.

When you’re driving and you put on the brakes suddenly everything in your car that isn’t strapped down goes flying forward right? That’s what the hips do in the elite swing. That’s how you get across your body. That the decel. It’s reciprocal rotation.
My goal has never been to get the bat across the body.
You said that happens and that rotation of the hips stops (clip of Stan)
I made stills from your post showing you were wrong.
Stan rotates his hips beyond contact and he keeps the bat on his left side: doesn't get the bat across his body.
What you perceived was happening wasn't what was actually happening.
I was able to prove it using modern technology.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Bobby,

The oblique slings, with the back and front functional lines As well as the spiral lines contribute to stretching and contracting the core. The leverage of the frontside helps maintain the back leg anchor. It’s truly about balance. But more accurately dynamic balance.

the bones get moved by the muscles. The musculature gets moved by the fascia. SSC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi