barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
giphy.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Everything in the car that isn't strapped down continues going forward because the braking doesn't act on those things. There's no need to stop the car in order to get the items in the car to move forward. They are already moving forward and objects in motion stay in motion unless acted upon by a force.

You've indicated in the past that you think those untethered items accelerate. They do not, and neither will the bat unless acted upon by a force. They merely continue on their original path at the same speed they're already traveling. Braking doesn't positively accelerate anything.
You will get the bat across your body, but the handle/barrel relationship will not change resulting in permanent bat lag.
That's why hands to the ball is such a bad philosophy.

The reciprocal motion you so desire necessitates that the handle be acted upon perpendicularly to create a torque and then the barrel, continuing on its original path, will be accelerated/turned. Equal and opposite.
Remember acceleration is change of speed in a direction. Change the direction via turning, create acceleration in the direction of the turn and all the "loose" items will go flying in the opposite (reciprocal?) direction. Momentum is conserved angularly. No braking! (braking converts the kinetic energy into potential energy or heat)
Same principle applies to the pelvis, torso, and shoulders. Same principle applies in TTB movement.
Want to get the barrel to extend/swing/turn? Get the bat moving and then pull on the handle in the opposite direction.
Simple physics.

Not much else to do with the virus, so I thought I would come back to play some more. I think I have grown thicker skin....

Bobby, I think that the swing is more similar to the bull whip. I should probably not be in the technical section, as I don't know all the proper terminology, but it seems to me the bull whip is being pulled in a forward motion and that the tip of the whip ends with speed in excess of the original arm/hand speed.

I think the swing is started similarly and the back end of the barrel is pulled thru and when the hand deceleration starts, the barrel picks up speed. See the prior thread i had started with the Big Poppy data. I know it was only one data point, but i still think accurate.

Jul 31, 2019
Worst part about this thread all of you post make sense even though your debating

I’m sure this is covered but I’m not in a position to read 76 pages right now so I’ll ask the question.

does the back foot stay anchored or should it be free to gain ground, come off the ground or even scissor?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Worst part about this thread all of you post make sense even though your debating

I’m sure this is covered but I’m not in a position to read 76 pages right now so I’ll ask the question.

does the back foot stay anchored or should it be free to gain ground, come off the ground or even scissor?

I try to keep it anchored, but once launch occurs it's going to move. How far and where it moves will depend on the hitter. Some gain ground. Some scissor. Some don't do either.

Note: scissor can also depend on pitch location. Some hitters will scissor on certain pitches but not others.

Added: By the way, @Work=wins has some interesting thoughts about scissoring. Him and I don't always see eye to eye, but I will give him credit when it is deserved.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I try to keep it anchored, but once launch occurs it's going to move. How far and where it moves will depend on the hitter. Some gain ground. Some scissor. Some don't do either.

Note: scissor can also depend on pitch location. Some hitters will scissor on certain pitches but not others.

Added: By the way, @Work=wins has some interesting thoughts about scissoring. Him and I don't always see eye to eye, but I will give him credit when it is deserved.
Agreed, keep it anchored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00