Back Elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
The anatomical difference is women have boobs, The back elbow just has to clear them thats all. no 2 women are the same some larger than others, the larger they are the more clearance needed. at 8 I would hope they do not need as much clearance as a mature woman.

Do you remember Ben Wright who used to cover the LPGA. He got fired for among other things saying the following:

He was also quoted as saying "women are handicapped by having boobs" that get in the way of keeping their left arm straight.

So I'm wondering is the best you got that some women have a larger chest than a man therefore all women need to be taught different mechanics? Interesting. I thought someone was going to say that girls/women's hips were wider and therefore......

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I don't think anyone here is saying females need to be taught a different swing than males. What they're saying is they have to make some slight adjustments due to anatomical differences. The core of the swing is the same, but they're not quite executed exactly the same. And thus you can't apply everything you see on a clip of a MLB player to a female.

Two other significant anatomical differences between males and females are a female's hips are wider than her shoulders, generally, while a male's shoulders are wider than his hips, generally. There are always exceptions. And a female's center of gravity sits lower and further back than a male's, which affects her balance and posture. Those are facts. How they affect each player depends on a lot of other factors, but they have to be considered.

Feb 7, 2013
Ken - curious to know what slight adjustments are being made to the female swing that do not have to be made for the male swing? Maybe someone could list them out? Boulder mentioned that the boobs get in the way of the swing but when you look at MLB players the arm triangle stays connected with the chest into point of contact so there is no obstruction of the arms with the chest that I can see. Just seems like a non-issue to me but I haven't worked on hitting with a lot of fully grown women.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Do you remember Ben Wright who used to cover the LPGA. He got fired for among other things saying the following:

He was also quoted as saying "women are handicapped by having boobs" that get in the way of keeping their left arm straight.

So I'm wondering is the best you got that some women have a larger chest than a man therefore all women need to be taught different mechanics? Interesting. I thought someone was going to say that girls/women's hips were wider and therefore......

Were you aware that female's wider hips causes greater stress on the knee joint which leads to a significantly greater frequency of ACL tears than their male counterparts? Did you know that many college sports programs, basketball most notably, have initiated ACL injury prevention training programs to teach their female athletes how to move properly/athletically?

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
A majority of the problematic boobs in softball happen to be the coaches. The coaches are boobs. How do we work around those boobs????

Oct 14, 2008
I have 2 daughters, both played or is playing ball, one is larger up top than the other, Im saying the elbow has to go further from the chest to clear, thats all nothing else. stick 2 balloons under your shirt and try to keep the hands close and let me know what rubs the back elbow as it clears the slot.

My youngest gained 3 mph on her bat speed by simply adjusting her hands and allowing more room for clearance from her back elbow thru the slot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877