Pitcher Falling Sideways

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've seen this suggested many times but I've yet to see anyone whip naturally this way. When I think about throwing underhand myself, I certainly dont whip. I push.

First, get the IR correct. The thread "IR in the Classroom" is great for developing the IR motion. Most of the drills can be done as part of pitch and catch.

I learned to throw IR "for the heck of it" when my DD was learning. My DD and I now mostly play pitching and catch IR underhanded. I've been throwing batting practice to kids for 20+ years. (Nothing like a 10YOA girl running up to you and begging you to throw to them.)

As to learning, I'm assuming you know how to throw a baseball overhand. If so, you already know how to IR.

Do the IR in the Classroom Drills with your DD. Basically, get open, take the ball to 12, have your hand behind the ball, stay back, and throw.

Jan 25, 2022
First, get the IR correct. The thread "IR in the Classroom" is great for developing the IR motion. Most of the drills can be done as part of pitch and catch.

I learned to throw IR "for the heck of it" when my DD was learning. My DD and I now mostly play pitching and catch IR underhanded. I've been throwing batting practice to kids for 20+ years. (Nothing like a 10YOA girl running up to you and begging you to throw to them.)

As to learning, I'm assuming you know how to throw a baseball overhand. If so, you already know how to IR.

Do the IR in the Classroom Drills with your DD. Basically, get open, take the ball to 12, have your hand behind the ball, stay back, and throw.

The IR classroom drills are what I start with for new kids, but I think you essentially answered the question. Most of these kids don't do it naturally, but that's what I've heard a million times. People (not necessarily you) saying throw and catch underhanded as if it just develops on its own. There's still a significant amount of whip instruction involved, and I suppose I'll just keep taking it slowly and gently/loosely as I've tried to do so far.

As a budding instructor, I try really hard to keep things as simple as possible and avoid my own mistakes as I learn how to instruct. I have put countless hours into learning, and I think I have a very good grasp on mechanics and causes of flaws, but I can't study experience. I took over my daughter's instruction for a few different reasons, and she's made a lot of progress, but I know I made mistakes along the way that cost us a significant amount of time. I have a brand new, blank slate type of kid that I work with now (for free), and I try very hard not to do pointless drills or let her develop bad habits as a result of my own faults.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619