Back Elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
This is being debated on a different post with video of the MLB player swing with the elbow close to the body. Here is a study Howard Carrier and I talked about on the phone last night. I will let you draw your on conclusions.
You must let your dd do the test, it will not work on a male.

Have her swing with her elbow close to her body like most pictures you see posted on a MLB player. If you have a whip hit it works great if not use a rope. You hold one end and she holds the other and swings with her elbow close to her body and then with her elbow 2" away from her body and ask her which feels stronger and has more power.

My dd proved this to her college hitting coach last night.

Oct 19, 2009
SB can correct me if I’m wrong, but what I understand is that a study has proven the back elbow being 2 inches away from the side during the swing has proven to be a stronger position of power that the elbow brushing up against the side. IMO this is correct.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Yes you are correct PEPPERS. This is another difference between a female and a male, that Howard posted a few years back on this site and some attacked him, without doing the test. I posted this is a good example of males that you know don't work with females. The swing is the same but my dd cannot do things I can do when I swing a bat. Bustos does this in all her camps and he has nothing to do with strength since I bet she could beat most that post on here in arm wrestle contest.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2012
SB...can you link to the study you are referring to? It may be that it's Friday afternoon and I've checked out for the day but the rope drill is not making sense to me. Can you explain it a different way or provide a link to someone doing it?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
This is a cut and paste from the Carrier-Bustos instructions they pass out in a clinic to all parents and players. I hope this helps. Many of us use the whip hit as a training device because you can teach and show and have a player feel what you are telling them. I know Boulderdad uses one with all students. It can be used to teach a student that casts how they lose power by taking the elbow to far away from the body. Before the whip hit we just used a rope with a knot on the end. Student can feel the same thing without spending money on a device . No study , kids can feel it . Bustos will not tell you to do anything that you cannot measure or feel for yourself. I will try to find the old post on here from hitter. I'm sure Straightleg has it.

"Remember the ball on the rope demonstration and how we moved the bat into what we termed bat lag. Also remember that when our elbow cleared our body we felt how much stronger we were? Then when our elbow was too close to the body you lost your power because you lost your leverage in the lead hip area as the linkage was lost."

Last edited:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
This is a cut and paste from the Carrier-Bustos instructions they pass out in a clinic to all parents and players. I hope this helps. Many of us use the whip hit as a training device because you can teach and show and have a player feel what you are telling them. I know Boulderdad uses one with all students. It can be used to teach a student that casts how they lose power by taking the elbow to far away from the body. Before the whip hit we just used a rope with a knot on the end. Student can feel the same thing without spending money on a device . No study , kids can feel it . Bustos will not tell you to do anything that you cannot measure or feel for yourself. I will try to find the old post on here from hitter. I'm sure Straightleg has it.

"Remember the ball on the rope demonstration and how we moved the bat into what we termed bat lag. Also remember that when our elbow cleared our body we felt how much stronger we were? Then when our elbow was too close to the body you lost your power because you lost your leverage in the lead hip area as the linkage was lost."

Per the bold above. I agree with the elbow separation from body but I would be interested in this set up before trying to simulate the feeling you are describing. Teaching lag is missing from a lot of softball hitting coaches lessons

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Yes you are correct PEPPERS. This is another difference between a female and a male, that Howard posted a few years back on this site and some attacked him, without doing the test. I posted this is a good example of males that you know don't work with females. The swing is the same but my dd cannot do things I can do when I swing a bat. Bustos does this in all her camps and he has nothing to do with strength since I bet she could beat most that post on here in arm wrestle contest.

Could someone explain to me the anatomical differences in the genders that warrants the need to teach different hitting mechanics?

Some say the "baseball swing" and the "softball swing" are different? And that men and women swing the bat differently therefore need to be taught different hitting mechanics?

IMO, a good swing, is a good swing. I see lots of former college baseball players playing fastpitch using a "baseball swing" and they perform well. I also see girls playing little league baseball and are taught the same hitting mechanics as their boy teammates, and they can still hit the ball hard. My DS is 8 year old and sees the same hitting instructor as my older DD. The instructor teaches the exact same hitting mechanics to both of them, the only difference is the size of the ball used during lessons. They both have benefited greatly from his instruction. The way I look at it is they are both trying their best to hit a round object with a rounded stick...

Oct 14, 2008
Could someone explain to me the anatomical differences in the genders that warrants the need to teach different hitting mechanics?

Some say the "baseball swing" and the "softball swing" are different? And that men and women swing the bat differently therefore need to be taught different hitting mechanics?

IMO, a good swing, is a good swing. I see lots of former college baseball players playing fastpitch using a "baseball swing" and they perform well. I also see girls playing little league baseball and are taught the same hitting mechanics as their boy teammates, and they can still hit the ball hard. My DS is 8 year old and sees the same hitting instructor as my older DD. The instructor teaches the exact same hitting mechanics to both of them, the only difference is the size of the ball used during lessons. They both have benefited greatly from his instruction. The way I look at it is they are both trying their best to hit a round object with a rounded stick...

The anatomical difference is women have boobs, The back elbow just has to clear them thats all. no 2 women are the same some larger than others, the larger they are the more clearance needed. at 8 I would hope they do not need as much clearance as a mature woman.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi