Back Elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Ken - curious to know what slight adjustments are being made to the female swing that do not have to be made for the male swing? Maybe someone could list them out? Boulder mentioned that the boobs get in the way of the swing but when you look at MLB players the arm triangle stays connected with the chest into point of contact so there is no obstruction of the arms with the chest that I can see. Just seems like a non-issue to me but I haven't worked on hitting with a lot of fully grown women.

RT1, this is not something I teach. I was merely clarifying what was already being said.

It seems to me moving out a bit to clear the chest is something a female hitter would do if needed. A male coach comparing video with men would be tempted to move them back in because that's what they see on video. That could be the wrong decision.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'm going to take you up on that. Might film it and post video. Stay tuned. :)

If you're going to go the effort to do video, might as well do it right. Fill the ballons with ??? lbs of sand (YOU figure out how much a boob weighs:eek:) and then duct tape them to your chest - unshaven would be more manly IMHO:cool:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Originally Posted by SBFAMILY

This is a cut and paste from the Carrier-Bustos instructions they pass out in a clinic to all parents and players. I hope this helps. Many of us use the whip hit as a training device because you can teach and show and have a player feel what you are telling them. I know Boulderdad uses one with all students. It can be used to teach a student that casts how they lose power by taking the elbow to far away from the body. Before the whip hit we just used a rope with a knot on the end. Student can feel the same thing without spending money on a device . No study , kids can feel it . Bustos will not tell you to do anything that you cannot measure or feel for yourself. I will try to find the old post on here from hitter. I'm sure Straightleg has it.

"Remember the ball on the rope demonstration and how we moved the bat into what we termed bat lag. Also remember that when our elbow cleared our body we felt how much stronger we were? Then when our elbow was too close to the body you lost your power because you lost your leverage in the lead hip area as the linkage was lost."

BUMP post... I don't think SL has ever posted a clip of this particular area. This is a missing component in a lot of discussions here at DFP. It's a feeling that needs to be coached for many. That is why I am curious how this was demonstrated...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
33p5wjk.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
See post .... http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/15918-rose-olored-glasses-elephant-room-31.html#post191823

SBF ... when you make comments like this, it has me questioning if certain people give lessons to females.

I've had one hitter that was so large that she has already undergone breast reduction surgery twice now ... and yet, at no point, did she ever need a modified swing because of her extremely large bust size.

Maybe this here will help you ....

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
If you're going to go the effort to do video, might as well do it right. Fill the ballons with ??? lbs of sand (YOU figure out how much a boob weighs:eek:) and then duct tape them to your chest - unshaven would be more manly IMHO:cool:

When you do this test, might be a good idea if neighbors, friends and family dont see you. Might be hard to explain..:)

SL

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
33p5wjk.gif
1zyg9vl.gif

Interesting, and here I was thinking their idea was to put a few inches space between the rib cage and the elbow out front so when they swung their arms without turning the torso there would be enough room. But, I guess if the torso is turning ahead of the barrel there really is no need to worry about that.
I am waiting anxiously for the LAG set up. I honestly believe it is one of the most under coached mechanics in a hitters swing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g