Athlete's Unlimited starting on ESPNU 12pm CST

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It could also be that I didn't like the format coming in. The points system and redrafting makes no sense to me. You are taking a team game and attempting to make it an individual one when there are very few household names that people would follow. We discuss team jumping on here a lot and this league has made it all about team jumping.
Agree the re-draft points thing i guess is a take it or leave it for people.
I'll leave it.
Seems its turning 'root for your team' into root for a player.
Then the team switch'a'roo !
Why take a team sport and individualize it?
Not into it all!

Would like to see softball grow.
Dont see this growing teams to any type of league pro or otherwise.

To their format would say...
Why not just do individual skills testing/competitions at stations?
Then get points.
Like t.v. reality shows... (Blah)
Hitting distance
Throwing speeds
Accuracy
Repetitive trials of technical difficulty?
___________yikes...no....

Going to stick with its a team sport.
That teams work together to build on their fixed rosters. Develop a strategy with the teams roster.
Compete against the other fixed team rosters...build the program seasonally!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I saw one of the games listed on ESPN, but then couldn't find it. I didn't realize it was moved to another channel. I will try to watch some this weekend. I am also not a fan of the format they are using, but I am willing to give it a shot.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I too was against the format but its growing on me. the way the redraft works, the teams should get better each week because there will be more history on the players as a whole. I love the short season aspect of it. Its already better than NPF as far as visibility. Nothing like the WCWS by any means but its high level softball.

I also agree that the pitching was very one sided. Im hoping that improves.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I wonder if pro softball would work better if it were a tour. That is, it will play at 20 sites around the country with a schedule, like the WTA or LPGA tours, or like a musical act, market the heck out of it in each town, try to make stars of players like Cat Osterman. If I know the pro league will be in my city on a certain date, I'll save it on the calendar. That might sell out if it's advertised well. I'd go see Cat Osterman pitch if I had one convenient opportunity each year.

Another idea would be to attempt to capitalize on the college allegiances and have maybe a Pac 12 vs. SEC best-of-seven series. I know that's not inclusive of all the pro leaguers, but I could get into something like that if it were on TV. As it stands, I'll watch a game or two and then I can't retain interest. But if it's a series where something is at stake (I'm pulling for the SEC! Or whatever) then maybe it works.

I can't get excited about televised exhibitions with no meaning. Or the Chicago Bandits.

Nov 4, 2015
I watched some of it. The softball is good, not great, but i believe it will get better the more they play. Need fans in the seats. Part of why college softball is so fun to watch is the atmosphere. I was better to watch then MLB just because of the pace of play, but suffers from a lack of a crowd. Will be interesting to see how the captains draft as they move forward. Just like the playground, no one wants to be picked last!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I wonder if pro softball would work better if it were a tour. That is, it will play at 20 sites around the country with a schedule, like the WTA or LPGA tours, or like a musical act, market the heck out of it in each town, try to make stars of players like Cat Osterman. If I know the pro league will be in my city on a certain date, I'll save it on the calendar. That might sell out if it's advertised well. I'd go see Cat Osterman pitch if I had one convenient opportunity each year.

Another idea would be to attempt to capitalize on the college allegiances and have maybe a Pac 12 vs. SEC best-of-seven series. I know that's not inclusive of all the pro leaguers, but I could get into something like that if it were on TV. As it stands, I'll watch a game or two and then I can't retain interest. But if it's a series where something is at stake (I'm pulling for the SEC! Or whatever) then maybe it works.

I can't get excited about televised exhibitions with no meaning. Or the Chicago Bandits.
Tour 👍

May 20, 2016
Watched a couple of games this weekend. Thought the point system was a little convoluted but otherwise was good to see some fastpitch on TV.

Heck it just started this weekend and people are complaining its not what they like. Lack of pitching boring are you kidding me that wasn’t a lack of pitching it was dominating hitting. The best softball players they could find on the planet are basically playing in an allstar tournament and people are complaining.
So far it’s the only sports on tv that isnt littered with drama. Its 5 weeks My DD and I are going to get to watch and hopefully learn something from the best.

Mar 10, 2020
Heck it just started this weekend and people are complaining its not what they like. Lack of pitching boring are you kidding me that wasn’t a lack of pitching it was dominating hitting. The best softball players they could find on the planet are basically playing in an allstar tournament and people are complaining.
So far it’s the only sports on tv that isnt littered with drama. Its 5 weeks My DD and I are going to get to watch and hopefully learn something from the best.
Its first impressions.
Tells us people have a reaction. Our family doesnt care about player points.
What can anyone get out of 5 weeks of games.
Its for younger players creating dreams.
And old farts keeping a stat book at home disagreeing with the points system.

Mar 28, 2014
I watched some of it. The softball is good, not great, but i believe it will get better the more they play. Need fans in the seats. Part of why college softball is so fun to watch is the atmosphere. I was better to watch then MLB just because of the pace of play, but suffers from a lack of a crowd. Will be interesting to see how the captains draft as they move forward. Just like the playground, no one wants to be picked last!
compared to what? The Olympics? Every player out there was a star on her college team so it's definitely better than college ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying