Top Gun Player substitution questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

First travel tournament in the fast ball universe. I have reviewed the information in the NFHS rules book, as well as the exceptions for Top Gun Sports.

I have 13 girls on the roster and planning to bat entire roster in the pool games. If I understand the rules correctly then I should be able to just rotate the girls in and out on an inning by inning basis, right?

The next question in the bracket game(s) - if I only bat 9 - then those 9 have to stay in the game playing both offense and defense until I make a substitution of a player by going to the plate ump, correct? There is no rotating the 4 non batting girls into the game in between innings on defense if they aren't batting correct?

I have only coached recreation softball, and it is mandatory play - we bat the entire line up and can rotate girls in and out between innings on defense as we see fit to get play time.

We are a developmental team so I want girls to get play time - but I also want to put the best possible foot forward that we can and then move some of the weaker girls in when we are able to.

Thanks in advance!

Excerpt from Top Gun Exceptions:

BATTING LINE-UPS—WE DO NOT ALLOW THE FLEX PLAYER TEAMS HAVE THE OPTION OF BATTING 9 PLAYERS UP TO THEIR ENTIRE ROSTER IF DESIRED. THE RULE TO BAT MORE THAN 9 IS NOT MANDATORY AND IS LEFT UP TO EACH INDIVIDUAL TEAM. IF ALL ROSTERED PLAYERS BAT, THERE WILL BE NO SUBS AND AN INJURY OR SICKNESS IS AN OUT WHEN THAT POSITION COMES UP TO BAT. TEAMS WILL RECEIVE ONLY 1 OUT FOR THE SICK OR INJURED PLAYER, HOWEVER THE INJURED OR SICK PLAYER MAY NOT RETURN TO THE GAME. YOU MAY USE THE LAST RECORDED OUT MADE AS THE COURTESY RUNNER IF YOU ARE BATTING THE ENTIRE LINEUP. IF YOU ARE NOT BATTING THE ENTIRE LINE-UP, THEN A SUB OR BURNT SUB MUST BE USED AS THE COURTESY RUNNER. IN CASE OF AN EJECTION AND NO ELIGIBLE SUBS ARE AVAILABLE, THAT POSITION WILL BE AN OUT EACH TIME AT BAT. DH RULE: TOP GUN WILL ALLOW THE DH RULE. IF A TEAM ELECTS TO USE A DH, ONLY 9 PLAYERS MAY BAT. TEAMS MAY CHOOSE THEIR OWN WAY TO PLAY REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE OTHER TEAM DECIDES TO DO. EJECTIONS: IN CASE OF AN EJECTION-AND NO ELIGIBLE SUBS ARE AVAILABLE THAT POSITION WILL BE OUT AT EACH AT BAT. HIGH SCHOOL FEDERATION-DH RULE: TOP GUN WILL ALLOW THE DH RULE. TEAMS THAT CHOOSE TO USE A DH, THEY MUST FOLLOW NFHS RULE, AND ONLY BAT 9 PLAYERS.

Aug 6, 2013
If you bat roster then you just list every player on your lineup card with no subs. Some of your extra hitters that don't have defensive positions to start will be listed as EH (extra hitter). I don't see in the rule language above what is listed for defensive subs. Some tournaments don't require you to report them during pool play if you are batting roster and some do. That would be a question to ask during your before game plate meeting. When you get to bracket play you need to bat 9. You can utilize the DP/Flex though. Usually your flex is a great defensive player but a weaker hitter - on our team it is almost always the pitcher since we have POs. The DP will hit for that girl in the batting order. So that means you can have 10 girls on your lineup card but you have to clearly mark the DP/Flex positions.

Thank you for your reply. I really do appreciate it.

Per the Exceptions to the rules laid forth they don't observe the Flex player position. I am guessing this is an attempt to simplify the process of substituting.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478