Athlete's Unlimited starting on ESPNU 12pm CST

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 4, 2015
Compared to what I expect from the best in the world. Watch the first few innings of yesterday's Pendley/Warren game. Bunt coverage was bad, errors were made, players failed to cover bags, etc. I didn't say the play was bad. Just saying if you want to market and sell the game, It needs to look like the best in the world.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Compared to what I expect from the best in the world. Watch the first few innings of yesterday's Pendley/Warren game. Bunt coverage was bad, errors were made, players failed to cover bags, etc. I didn't say the play was bad. Just saying if you want to market and sell the game, It needs to look like the best in the world.
This is a good point toward expectations.
These players are not practicing together for months as a team. Inter'changability is one thing.
Having a team gel is another.
Pitching and pitch calling are subject to adjustments.

How much practice have they had during covid break?

No excuses mind you for bad bunt recovery, oh but guess bunting worked...;)

Nov 4, 2015
This is a good point toward expectations.
These players are not practicing together for months as a team. Inter'changability is one thing.
Having a team gel is another.
Pitching and pitch calling are subject to adjustments.

How much practice have they had during covid break?

No excuses mind you for bad bunt recovery, oh but guess bunting worked...;)

I think the continuity is going to be the biggest problem. The different captains each week with different ideas on coverages. Or will they all use the same calls? Pitchers will be drafted quick and then their favorite catcher (Need trust and continuity). I will watch, but without set teams, I don't really have a team to root for. Just hoping for a good game. Hitting is ahead of pitching right now. Will be interesting to see how it works as individuals begin to voice their preferences when drafting.

Jul 5, 2016
My impression is that batting has improved faster than pitching over the years and this really shows in these games. In high-level college ball, pitchers can't make too many mistakes, but in the Athletes Unlimited games, it's more like they can't make any mistakes. Of course, I don't know what a pitcher is supposed to do about batters than hit stuff that is way out of the zone.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
My impression is that batting has improved faster than pitching over the years and this really shows in these games. In high-level college ball, pitchers can't make too many mistakes, but in the Athletes Unlimited games, it's more like they can't make any mistakes. Of course, I don't know what a pitcher is supposed to do about batters than hit stuff that is way out of the zone.
Perhaps thats because pitching had rules implemented making it harder to pitch.
While these changes were implemented some years back they greatly changed the game.
Which was intended to grow the appeal and action in the sport...and seems to have worked. More hitting!

Pitching rubber moved back 3 feet.
Pitcher lines restricting where feet land.
And
Batters got a rule giving them an advantage by not having to move out of the way on inside pitches, if hit being awarded first base.

Used to be a pitchers game.
Low runs.
Only a few batters on base each game.
3 to 5 base hits per team was good!
Very FEW home runs. If any per game.

Also the yellow ball was implemented which has more flight to it.
And
Batters got bats with new technology.
*ALL These changes grew batting averages by easily .100 points

Now pitchers (last year'ish)
have been given a new rule of where feet can start. Which is said to be producing greater pitching speeds by a few mph.

Lets see what this does in next couple years.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
Actually, as I think about it, at least part of the problem with Athletes Unlimited is the number of hits that drop into no man's land between the infield and outfield. That may be a consequence of players not used to playing together.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Actually, as I think about it, at least part of the problem with Athletes Unlimited is the number of hits that drop into no man's land between the infield and outfield. That may be a consequence of players not used to playing together.
Hmmm? Basehits?
Cant blame it on the coaching 💁 lol

One of my students who is a Junior in h.s. told me yesterday~
She is trying to follow watching one of the players who was a coach on one of her travel teams.
Said she can't seem to find out what time her old Coach is playing to follow the games or even record them.
? Any tips on that conundrum ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30