Arm whip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

SETPRO

DFP Vendor
Dec 28, 2023
The problem with words for communicating information is that they are subject to individual interpretation. How we interpret a word is based on everything we've ever done and learned. I use the term "life experiences" to describe this learning/interpretation process.

For example take the word whip. If I Google the words "whip definition" this is what I got:

whip

noun: whip; plural noun: whips

1. a strip of leather or length of cord fastened to a handle, used for flogging or beating a person or for urging on an animal.

2. an official of a political party appointed to maintain discipline among its members in Congress or Parliament, especially so as to ensure attendance and voting in debates.

verb

verb: whip; 3rd person present: whips; past tense: whipped; past participle: whipped; gerund or present participle: whipping

1. beat (a person or animal) with a whip or similar instrument, especially as a punishment or to urge them on.
"Lewis whipped the boy twenty times"

2. move fast or suddenly in a specified direction.
"I whipped around the corner"

The point being depending on how the word whip is used in communicating it can be mean a number of very different things. Also how the word whip is interpreted by anyone is subject to their previous experiences with the word whip.

Point being that I believe that most who view this discussion would interpret the word whip as

And under this definition I would agree that whip accurately describes what happens to the softball when thrown by a high-level player. And from my perspective more specifically if the person is using IR (great topic for another discussion).

From a physics perspective there is no clear-cut definition of whip. If I do a Google search "whip physics" I am inundated with links having to do with bull whips and cracking of a whip. Which says that unless you actually spent time studying the principles behind whip momentum transfer attempts to communicate (agree) on what whipping a softball is can be extremely difficult and for "some" frustrating.

May everyone have a happy fastpitch New Year's.....

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Are we supposed to be privileged?

Yeah, bought the Setpro batspeed radar. Had to send it back because of a short, never received it back. Never did receive the Viper light tube I purchased as well,

Are we supposed to be privileged.

Last edited:

SETPRO

DFP Vendor
Dec 28, 2023
Not sure if it was clear from my previous post but if we use the verbal description of whip:

Than I would agree that a pitcher who effectively uses IR could be "described" as whipping the ball.

That being said would be very interested in hearing from others (if they believe) IR increases velocity how exactly does IR do this?

In the overhand pitching world two throwing coaching "cues" are "throw with the elbow" and "throw with a rag lose forearm".

Would be interested to hear those who practice IR what they use for coaching "cues".

Thank you.

SETPRO

DFP Vendor
Dec 28, 2023
In my first post I wrote the following:

But when it comes to pitching a softball there is a different dynamic happening which I'm not totally sure I understand.

Which brings me to why I am here. Would very much like to continue discussion on the the softball pitching process with respect to how it happens. How does the whipping process actually manifests itself in pitching a softball?

In noodling around on some of the topics I also found some of the "IR" discussion I read. Also the debate between HE and IR which I believe relates directly to the discussion of "Arm Whip".

After some "discussion" here and my doing some further investigations/thought I understand that using the dictionary definition of "whip":

verb move fast or suddenly in a specified direction.

can be used to describe the softball fastpitch arm action.

But I do not view this action as an example "physics whip". My perspective is "whipping around the corner" is created by IR.

And since this forums topic is "Arm whip" and I am more interested in the specifics in what is creating "whipping around the corner" (IR) I do not want to further confuse IR and whipping in this "Arm whip" discussion.

I am more interest in "exactly how does IR increase fastpitch performance?" Perhaps topic for a new "discussion"??

Thanks again to all those who took time to post in response to what I presented here.

SETPRO

DFP Vendor
Dec 28, 2023
Exerpt from From NY Times 2/13/2007

Eddie Feigner, Hard-Throwing, Barnstorming Showman of Softball, Dies at 81

He and a changing supporting cast that included only a catcher, first baseman and shortstop eventually logged more than 4 million miles, covering 50 states and more than 100 countries to play in front of 200 million people.

They played racetracks, stockyards, rodeo grounds, cemeteries, pastures, an oil rig off Norway’s coast and the Houston Astrodome. On “The Tonight Show,” a blindfolded Feigner knocked a cigar from Johnny Carson’s mouth.

In 1972, Sports Illustrated called Feigner, who pitched 238 perfect games, the most underrated athlete of his time. He said: “I’m a pipsqueak because I’m caught in a nothing game. It’s like being a world-champion nose-blower.”

In 2000, the same magazine ranked the King and His Court as the United States’ eighth-greatest team of the 20th century. In 2002, ESPN.com listed Feigner as one of the 10 greatest pitchers in a list that included Walter Johnson and Sandy Koufax.

In the 1940s, when countless small towns had softball leagues, the King and His Court was one among many barnstormers. By the 1960s, Feigner was top dog and made $100,000 a month at a time when baseball stars headed for the Hall of Fame made $100,000 a year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish