Are we trying to micromanage the pitcher's form?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Although I get what Sluggers is saying... to me, there's a fine line here. Most of the micro-managing I've heard over the years is perpetuated BS. In fact, I find that the more educated a bucket-dad/mom (can't forget them!) becomes... the less they flap their mouth. Are there people that cross the line? Absolutely. This said, telling them to shaddup and "let her be", accomplishes what? Disconnection? IMO, that's the real issue... and not just in pitching, but in life, in general.

The parents I work with in clinic and online ALL support their kids, marvelously. They use me for "directions"... and WE (their daughter and me) depend on them to "get them there". Just like they have expectations of me... I have even higher expectations of them. I want them involved... or I won't be. In fact, I actually prefer parents that are a bit over-zealous... because I know they want to learn, and they do. I know they won't use the tv as a babysitter... or count on their DD to learn their craft via Instagram... only to sit on the sidelines and bark idiocies during games.

Most so-so to crappy coaches lack the motivation to educate themselves. IMO, it's because we are so disconnected as a society... and during their obligation of games and practices, their frustration builds in an attempt to validate their time and mask their deficiencies. In comparison... good coaches study the game (like a good bucket-dad/mom). They understand the articulations that lead to sound bio-mechanics... and when they get frustrated... it's because their expectations of their players are high... yet they recognize a lack focus/understanding/fundamentals in their students... which can be frustrating. To me, those two situatioms are completely different.

As a coach, I feel it's my job to manage every aspect of the game. I do heavily rely on my assistants... they are incredible... but you better believe my nose is in their business. Every aspect of the game is micro-managed. Attention to detail is everything. Some first-time players get a little shell-shocked... only to discover a deeper passion for the game and their craft as the season progresses. The laissez faire type players usually don't make the roster.. and the micro-managed ones often do... only to discover a deeper respect for their one-time viewed overbearing parent(s). The parents are free to watch practices... and I find the quality of their knowledge improves, thus improving their relationship with their DD.

Again, there are always exceptions. But... I'd rather those exceptions sort themselves out naturally... as opposed to "letting go". Although they won't admit it... our kids look to us for guidance, leadership, and direction. Are you there for them? Are you prepared to give them the right guidance? How well-managed are you? Their are lots of micro pieces that constitute your responsibility as a parent, and it's your job to look outside your 'other' obligations and manage them. As a parent, you're a filter. Soak in all the details... even the crazy ones. Micro-manage this absurd level of detail/information... so that what you say has meaning... and your kid isn't left to figure it out for themselves, alone. You might make a bunch of mistakes... or feel like you wasted X amount of time... but at least you did it TOGETHER.

Just a different perspective, and I respect all of yours.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
..Ask a player in college or NPF whether that many explanations help her understand and throw, especially when you are 10 or 12. Or does doing it matter more...

So if I understand correctly we should ask a player to recall what was said to them 8 - 14 years ago, and then place that into context if it was helpful to their development? Good luck with that.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Well said Java.

Attention the finest of details is not micro managing if you as the manager/coach knows how to communicate effectively with his/her player.

Why would you want to allow incorrect pitching mechanics to go "un-managed" so the incorrect mechanic can get further engrained into muscle memory??? You better beleive if i see my DD doing something wrong as it pertains to pitching mechanics, we are going to stop and figure out why and work to correct it asap. If that makes me a micro-mananger then so be it. She has went from a HE lower level rec ball pitcher to a pitcher for an "A" level travel ball organization by working on correct mechanics. More importantly, I have gotten to spend countless hours with her, something I cherish. My DD responds to my coaching because I know how to communicate with her and she is receptive to it and actually needs it.

It is not a matter of micro-managing, it is a matter of giving your DD/player as much useful information on whatever they are working on to reach their full potential.....just my opinion.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2013
Micro managing during practice (learn time) and micro managing during Games (show time) are two totally different things. Every team I've been apart of guess which player always has the worst case of the chokes. Thats right, the coaches kid. many coaches just never learn to stop giving their players things to think about. They become totally dependent on all that guidance and when they have to depend and trust their instincts so they can be at their best they cant do it because they are so afraid if doing it wrong. You give a player a bunch of advise on mechanics before an at bat and you get allot of watched strikes. Do the same to a pitcher and they dial themselves out. there is a big grey area between mico managing and paying attention to details. Knowing when to drill them and when to allow them develop the traits they will need to succeed on the field on their own is key. IMHO mechanics will never be more than half of what it takes to be successful, The rest they will have to learn, sometimes on their own.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I took this picture, today. She is 10 and plays 12U TB. She just did very well at Candrea's camp and he even took an interest in her hitting. They did not try to change her pitching, which is a good thing. Then, I snap this picture. I will show her and address this slide and lean, because of her age and I do want her to learn correctly. I like everything to be linear. But, she is successful.
so?.jpg

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I took this picture, today. She is 10 and plays 12U TB. She just did very well at Candrea's camp and he even took an interest in her hitting. They did not try to change her pitching, which is a good thing. Then, I snap this picture. I will show her and address this slide and lean, because of her age and I do want her to learn correctly. I like everything to be linear. But, she is successful.
View attachment 6022

If they didn't try to change her pitching or tell her or her parents about it, then the camp was worthless to them.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If they didn't try to change her pitching or tell her or her parents about it, then the camp was worthless to them.

You never know, she may have gotten something out of the hitting or fielding portion. Then of course there is the photo, t-shirt, and the ever popular cupcake and juice box. :)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
There is a fine line between "passionate" and "micromanaging" your pitchers. There is a foundation of physical properties to stay legal and most efficient, that's what we are looking for. That's the "meat" in the dish, the rest are simply ingredients and pitchers add them to their individual "taste".

My softball eyes are only 10 years old, my baseball about 35 years. Even the best pitchers in the world, MLB, have very different styles. ( Stride length, lead leg swim, arm slot, wrist slot, axis, shoulder position. ) There are things a pitcher must have, fundamental mechanics. It's the hot sauce, the individual Jalapeño peppers, pitching is not a MUST follow recipe.......per gram.

The best in the world figured it out early enough to use it, the rest of us can only debate it on the web.

Jul 26, 2010
I get what you're saying Ray.

I think though, that there is a huge difference between understanding perfect or even proper mechanics, and teaching those mechanics.

Every dad who has ever sat on a bucket has either successfully backed off the "instruction" and let the kid figure out how to pitch at some point, or they've failed miserably and become one of "those guys" that pretty much ruined their daughters enjoyment of the game.

I think Einstein said it best when he said, "Any fool can know, the point is to understand". Only a pitcher can ever understand.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi