Are we trying to micromanage the pitcher's form?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
OILF said:

You need to keep yourself out of it, and keep the adult brain out of it.

I understand where OILF is coming from...I am concerned that a lot of Daddies want to micro-manage every part of the DDs' pitching motion. It ain't going to work.

If you look at lots of good D1 and above pitchers, you will see that no two are exactly alike. There are many things they do in common. This forum is an attempt to identify the commonalities between pitchers.

However, once a pitcher does the six or seven things all good pitchers do, then Daddy and the PCs have to back off and let the pitcher develop her own form and style. At some point, Daddy has to become simply the ball returner. (My pet peeve is Daddies trying to teach the DD the exact "release point" for a pitch. The hand is travelli

(I also think that advanced pitchers do not need weekly lessons...I think monthly would be much, much better.)

Cat Osterman does not pitching like Jenny Finch or Dallas Escobedo or Amanda Scarborough. They are different people with different bodies and different abilities. Thus, because a pitcher is trying to become the best *SHE* can be, the *PITCHER* has to optimize the pitching motion to make it work for her.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2013
I thought about this a lot while watching college ball this year. So many successful pitchers who have different pre-motion, different leaps, different follow throughs, different grips, etc. And if I only had back the months that I was nagging her about her glove swim, what a waste of time that was!

Oct 22, 2009
When my DD went off to college the teams PC was a big Jenny Finch fan. He thought all his pitchers should pitch like Jenny.
My DD had a meeting with the Head coach to discuss this and had to explain to the head coach that not every pitcher pitched like Jenny. The head coach then told the PC to lay off my DD.

Jun 7, 2013
I think that there is a lot of truth to this. I've noticed that my DDs seem to be able to work themselves towards better pitching motion without my nagging or interference. Of course, at this stage they are more advanced. Early on is, I think, where more instruction is beneficial.

Feb 19, 2009
What do all three have in common:

1) Perfect pitching mechanics
2) Perfect swing mechanics
3) Unicorns

Dusty's Dd's are the embodiment of two out of three :D

Ok, maybe their swing mechanics need a little work but I gotta have something to obsess over.

Mar 28, 2013
When a coach or bucket dad micromanages the player the player learns to micromanage herself and that will almost always limit Athletic performance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole