Are we trying to micromanage the pitcher's form?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2013
Great thread, great topic.

Yes, we are micromanaging. Much the same way you have to micromanage a garden. Plant it, weed it, water it, Oh my god look at that zucchini!!!! Got to keep your eyes on the zucchini!

I digress, yes, micromanage.

Sep 10, 2013
A year ago, i had a list of 10 must-haves for DD's pitching. A year later, that list has dwindled to 3.
micro-manage? yes, but it's becoming less and less as DD matures and learns to self-correct.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
A year ago, i had a list of 10 must-haves for DD's pitching. A year later, that list has dwindled to 3.
micro-manage? yes, but it's becoming less and less as DD matures and learns to self-correct.

For me the term "micro-manage" is significantly different than focused valuable instruction on a very few things (1-3) at a time (short periods of time, with little if any instruction during games if you're the pitchers pitching coach and the head coach. I believe the instruction should be zero during the game if you're not the pitcher's pitching coach.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
And knowing how to "manage" the goal is something an EXPERIENCED PC knows how to do.........

Not just someone with a daughter who pitched in college.........Or someone who "worked with a few kids".........I'm talking about devotion and commitment to be the best pitching coach..........

Micro.......Macro.........Whatever.........

Managing development is the key.........

Of course, all who are pitching coaches are, over time, becoming more and more experienced. The question is, are they getting THE RIGHT KIND of experience. There are many "pitching coaches" out there with many more years of experience who generally do not teach what Boardmember, Javasource, Pauly, et.al., would have them teach. Now on the other hand, understanding the stuff Boardmember, Java, Pauly... advocate is one thing. However, the managing of the goal is likely a scarcer ability and much more difficult. I think it's really what separates these true experts from the rest of us.

I guess my point is this.... Years of "experience" doesn't necessarily translate into "manage the goal" as it should be.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
It is my opinion, and I don't think I'm alone in this regard, that those successful hello-elbow pitchers would likely have been even better had they transitioned early in their pitching journey to the pitching mechanics that are advocated by the best experts on this site. Yes, that's my opinion.

I do believe there is likely more incidence of shoulder damage with the push-the-ball-down-the-back-side style (true hello elbow to me) than there is with the internal rotation style of pitching.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I must have edited it while you were typing. No offense here. I just didn't see the need to continue the argument as I am trying to get better with that on this site....:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah