Are we trying to micromanage the pitcher's form?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
In fact, I find that the more educated a bucket-dad/mom (can't forget them!) becomes... the less they flap their mouth.

This has definitely been the case with me. I flapped my mouth much more a year ago, especially two years ago, when compared to how I am now. I instruct at pitching practice, but I'm not saying much, not compared to what I did in the past. Sure, it has to do with my pitchers having improved, but it also has to do with the fact that I'm a lot more educated in pitching now.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
JS:
You are a micro-manager, at least by the second paragraph you are being honest with yourself. It really needs less words, less micro detail. Ask a player in college or NPF whether that many explanations help her understand and throw, especially when you are 10 or 12. Or does doing it matter more. The explanations are for those on the couch or the bucket watching it and not for the doers. Sorry but that is the truth. I know I can't do it or some other skills (and by this I mean go out on the field and complete a game) and I can tell when I am trying to make up for that with words. It does make me feel better but it does not teach a kid or anyone for that matter anything. So be honest.

PS Look at film of someone 12 who is pitching for the first time compared to a veteran at 20 and see how much it remains alike, a lot more than you think.

And we're surprised when a top level player turns out to be a horrible coach because they don't know how to teach other than say "Just copy what I do"??? IMO, as a coach or instructor you do have to micro-manage up until the requisite mechanics are ingrained and repeatable. After that, you only assist the player when they ask for it, can't self-correct, or are working on fine-tuning their technique/style.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The pursuit of basic proper mechanics must be relentless. It is the foundation of all that follows and without it the realization of ones true potential is not possible.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
JS:
You are a micro-manager, at least by the second paragraph you are being honest with yourself. It really needs less words, less micro detail. Ask a player in college or NPF whether that many explanations help her understand and throw, especially when you are 10 or 12. Or does doing it matter more. The explanations are for those on the couch or the bucket watching it and not for the doers. Sorry but that is the truth. I know I can't do it or some other skills (and by this I mean go out on the field and complete a game) and I can tell when I am trying to make up for that with words. It does make me feel better but it does not teach a kid or anyone for that matter anything. So be honest.

PS Look at film of someone 12 who is pitching for the first time compared to a veteran at 20 and see how much it remains alike, a lot more than you think.

I get what you are saying, and I agree with a part of your "let the athletes play and develop naturally" ideology, BUT there are also many bad habits that kids develop and if they want to rise to their full potential they need to be micromanaged (coached) to correct them. That is not to say that every little thing that a player does needs to be constantly molded, just that you need to do your best to strike a balance between letting them develop on their own but also help them work and improve in areas that need improvement and that REQUIRES micromanaging for certain mechanics.

As to the original topic of micromanaging pitchers, I think yes, a lot of people do micromanage some specifics that they mistake for foundational good pitching but are in reality just stylistic.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
This is why I love this forum and we bucket parents need it; good debates and quality contributions. The last thing anyone needs is a forum full of sheep.

I agree that there is a difference between micro-managing every movement and striving for proper core mechanics. You can't work those core mechanics enough.......because we all know that once something is right on track something else will go off track. For those of us learning, we have to check with quality subject matter experts so we can help guide our DDs development. Along with good feedback and instructions, we also learn to try different "cues" to help our DDs understand; sometimes its visuals and other times verbal.

As with everything in life, balance is key. AND, Doug R is spot on.... I flap my gums a lot less and focus on the big things, the core things. That's in between telling DD to blink and breathe. LOL

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
This is why I love this forum and we bucket parents need it; good debates and quality contributions. The last thing anyone needs is a forum full of sheep.

I agree that there is a difference between micro-managing every movement and striving for proper core mechanics. You can't work those core mechanics enough.......because we all know that once something is right on track something else will go off track. For those of us learning, we have to check with quality subject matter experts so we can help guide our DDs development. Along with good feedback and instructions, we also learn to try different "cues" to help our DDs understand; sometimes its visuals and other times verbal.

As with everything in life, balance is key. AND, Doug R is spot on.... I flap my gums a lot less and focus on the big things, the core things. That's in between telling DD to blink and breathe. LOL

Yeah.... I'm still trying to figure out a way to install a chip in my DD's head so that I can use a remote control.

Apr 11, 2012
Sometimes I look at my daughter and think something needs to be fixed then I start looking at form and mechanics of some of the most successful pitchers and realize they are not perfect. There is some style element to it. Like Ellen Renfroe has some bend or lean at or near release. Is that bad mechanics? Is it style? Is that something that she was always working on but never was able to fix? Is it not a big deal?

Renfroe #1.jpgRenfroe #2.jpg

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Of course, there isn't and hasn't been a "perfect" pitcher, in that there is always something they could work on. And, I believe all pitchers, including the best in the world, should always be trying to get closer to perfection by working on their mechanics.

Jul 14, 2008
The pursuit of basic proper mechanics must be relentless. It is the foundation of all that follows and without it the realization of ones true potential is not possible.

And knowing how to "manage" the goal is something an EXPERIENCED PC knows how to do.........

Not just someone with a daughter who pitched in college.........Or someone who "worked with a few kids".........I'm talking about devotion and commitment to be the best pitching coach..........

Micro.......Macro.........Whatever.........

Managing development is the key.........

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Within a range there are many universal characteristics all the best throwers have in common: Internal Rotation, ball position at the top and at 9 o'clock, posture including front leg resistance, within a range being open near release, the brush or perhaps "brush resistance" at the side, how deep the ball is held in the hand, a posture at push off and others.

The longer you wait to address these issues the greater likely hood of frustration caused by a lack of success compared to peers and the harder to understand and break bad habits.

Now when it comes to a parents temperament and knowledge and their ability to communicate and reinforce productive changes that is a different matter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole