Another arguement FOR facemasks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
GM--I guessed Mass. but I was wrong. I figured it was one of those states up North.

Ken--not every throw can be caught, however. About six months ago, we were trying to have infield practice. Our first baseman was missing and they picked me to play first base. Our other first basemen play other infield positions and we didn't want to throw things off, when they wouldn't be playing first in the upcoming game. Anyway, someone threw a ball to me that hit the ground before it reached first base. I was ready to play it on the hop, but between the lights and the awful hop, it hopped right into my eye. Gave me a nice little black eye. Maybe if I was a first baseman I would have fielded it cleanly, but I'm an outfielder so I look funny over there. For the average throws, yes. But there are those occasions.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Anyway, someone threw a ball to me that hit the ground before it reached first base.

That is were a majority of the throws are and part of the reason that I wear a mask.

In my 55+ slow pitch age group, we had a SS that I hadn't played with before. She came up to me and said "I am going to bounce the ball to you." I smiled politely, and she said "No. I am really going to bounce the ball to you." Oh, lawdy.

I have a few words for everyone that has a politically correct issue about MAKING your kid wear a face mask. If you WANT or WISH your kid to wear one, tell them to shut up and wear one, because you are the parent, in charge and pay all medical bills, or THEY DON'T PLAY. Plain and simple. If any of you could see what I have seen in the ER, or in the surgery room like I have, reconstructing once beautiful young faces (boys and girls), there would not be a single infielder (especially Pitcher, 1st and 3rd) without a mask of some sort. My daughter started playing at 12U, 3 seasons ago. I did not give her an OPTION of wearing a mask. Simply told her, you wear it or you DO NOT PLAY. Now, for anyone questioning her fielding abilities, I assure you that is not an issue. She plays all 9 positions, but starts at pitcher, catcher and third base. Ok, so who hasn't done something like that. She is just recently 14, and plays on an 18A team now. This past weekend at the tournament, she fielded 8 balls total for assists/putouts from the circle, and 5 from 3rd base. Zero errors for 6 games. All that means is, she is confident in her game. Her facemask (Bangerz HS-6500) does not distract from her pitching, or fielding whatsoever. I am as old school as it comes. If she misses that ball on a bad hop, tips off her glove etc, oh well. She should have learned the basics more, or better, and return to the practice field for some refreshers. I do not make her wear it for those scenarios. I only make her wear it for the line drives that could CRUSH her face. Not for the bouncing ones. I'd hate it, but if she misses it and / or reads it wrong, sorry for the fat lip. I'm just a dad and I'm not affiliated with this company whatsoever, but I have beat the crap out of this mask with a pitching machine on my martial arts dummy. This thing should be called "better than Timex". Haha. This mask, and any other mask, is going to protect the parts of the face that need it the most. But I agree with MANY people when they say these masks should NOT be made manditory. Its up to the parents to be parents and make the decision. Not someone sitting at a board room table. I have complete confidence in my DD's fielding ability to play without a mask, but I'm not going to take that chance. Look up some softall facial injuries online from line drives, they are out there. If you WANT them wearing a mask, tell them to with NO wiggle room. "I can't get use to it... it throws me off...."etc, then say oh well, practice more to get use to it or don't play. If they say fine, I won't play.... then their heart wasn't in it to begin with and you now save a ton of money. If it is truley about them, then you won't be upset if they quit because they won't do what you tell them to for safety.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
For What It's Worth

Two years ago playing 16U one of our14yo (we had 3 14U's playing with us) players hit a line drive back through the middle. The older pitcher did not have a chance......did not even get her glove near the ball. Luckily she was wearing a mask (the Worth mask I think - not a Rip-It or Game Face). Anyway, she walked off the field; very little blood but ended up fracturing a bone in her face (septum?). It was frightening to watch. I was coaching third at the time - scary. My own dd pitches and wears the Gameface for last three years (she is 15yo). She has caught balls beside her head, in front of her chest etc. I make sure she gets all the practice she can to field her position and has done fairly well, but has been drilled in the knee, and thigh. She fields more than she misses and is actually quite good at it but I still make her wear a mask. Seeing that young girl get hit in the face will be forever etched in my memory.

BTW, I noticed an earlier post that suggested that the mask negated the need for a mouthguard. I make every position wear a mouth guard. I do that to reduce the chance of concussion, not so much to protect the teeth. Softball is fast and there are collisions in every game, whether running the bases or outfielders not hearing another fielder calling for a ball and they collide. The mouthguard (some call it toothguard) helps reduce the impact of the jaws coming together caused by contact of some form or another. I have had a number of girls thank me for making them wear the mouthguard after a collision on the base path. They don't like it, but understand why I insist on them wearing it.

Just my $0.02

BTW, I am FOR the facemask.

Nov 8, 2010
Two quick stores. Our 14U, ripped one back to the mound, off the pitchers head, she had a mask, this ball was hit so hard it went over the centers head as well. No mask, she would be dead period or a veggie. As it worked out we did see her the next day to check up on her and she ended up playing that Sunday, THANK GOD. #2 fall last year at younger dd's 12U ball ripped at 3rd. No mask, dropped like a sack of potatos. Knocked out cold, EMS, ER and a neck brace for 6 weeks. That girl was lucky she's not dead. I'm telling you these two shots would make even the most seasoned parent or coach think twice.
I don't ever like looking at the bad. If we don't get the girls in a mask, "IT" is going to happen. I really don't ever want to read that story.
I'm a "old school" dad and by no means am I a bubble wrap parent not a chance. There are some things I think are a good idea, and this is one, because of the two, first hand events I've seen. Someone on here said to give them drills that will improve there abilty, I agree, but there was nothing that would have prepared those two girls. Note: This was my two dd's playing up in tourney's. 12 at 14 and 14's at 16 and our girls were the hitters not the other way around. Note to the note: these were Elite teams not rec. ball.
Just my two cents. I wanted to supply the stores for the parents that are on the fence about should I buy one or not. My vote is to buy one.

Apr 27, 2009
I am with Lozza on this one. Ban the bats, like baseball, or else the players will all have to wear body armor.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Lots of good pro's and con's on this thread. Reminds me of something my dad use to say..........

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking".
George S. Patton

Mar 13, 2010
I swear to God, after seeing this happen only once last season (and that was a direct hit) I've seen it nearly every week this year! Watched a B1 pitcher almost get her head taken off, but thankfully her cap took the brunt of it. (snapped it off her head and it broke) She has a nasty headache, but that's it thankfully.

Mar 13, 2010
I was watching the cricket today and thinking about this topic. What brought it up (and this is something EVERYONE at softball noticed and commented on) the wicket keeper for the English team (essentially it's the catcher, though they don't have a specific spot to stand) was squatting directly behind the wicket with no face mask I was horrified at watching it. (especially when the wide shot came on the TV and I could see his helmet ten feet behind him) Yet all the batters have masks over their faces (think lacrosse helmets) and some of the players who play in the slips (really close, like the pivots) wear masks as well, though more like the batting style helmets.

Simillar sports, yet some incredibly different attitudes towards safety.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy