Another arguement FOR facemasks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
On the other hand, we have seen girls who refuse to wear the mask miss easy pop-ups in the shallow OF because they are afraid of the ball, turn their head and blindly jab at the ball at the last second.

I have also seen bad hops off the facemask turned into outs rather than base hits with an injury. I would take the former over the latter any day.

The fear mongers are winning over America bigtime.

There's huge money in the business of fear, being sold under the guise of 'safety'.

Well, you know, educating oneself about a situation someone is placing their child is part of being a parent, is it not? And a good parent finds the time when it comes to their children.

This rule does absolutely nothing to educate anyone, but those already educated. The lazy parent is going to let others to be held responsible for their children and this will continue until forced to be responsible for their children. These parents will send whatever money to coach says they need, then show up at a game a month later and ask why the infielders are wearing masks.

Cynical view? Yes, but not unrealistic.

I don't buy into the sheeple method of living. I do not support a rule that tells everyone how to run their life because of a few people do not want the responsibility of being good parents.

But that is me. However, no matter what the subject, I prefer to run my own life and expect others to be equally responsible.

Welcome to the new American nanny state, where you're deemed 'sooooo uncool' if you don't buy into it.

Yeah, people like you and I are clearly the problem here.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
The fear mongers are winning over America bigtime.
I don't understand what this has to do with my post. 10 and 11 y.o. girls in the infield playing the ball off their face without missing a beat. how long does it take your catchers to learn that?

The problem is not players choosing not to wear a facemask, the problem is that the choice is usually taken away before they can even make the choice. Maybe where you live the choice is more obvious, but where I live, use of a face mask is a completely foreign concept.

And as far as parenting goes, you need to pass a test to do something as simple as driving a car, but any jack@ss can be a parent. I have seen kids dropped off at practice that first thing they do is ask me for a ride home-and I wasn't even the coach!.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
MTR I agree with you completely. It's a sad fact of life in America that the threat of lawsuits has replaced common since. My DD does not pitch but she has played every other position, and will NOT play 1st or 3rd without a mask. Does she like it? I don't know I don't ask. Should it be a rule requirement? It doesn't matter. She is my child and it is my responsibility to make sure she is properly equiped to safely play whatever position she is in.

While I was coaching, I would always tell any girl pitching or at the corners to put on your mask. If they said they did not have one, I would talk to the parents. If the parents said they did not see a need for one, I would tell them that maybe their DD would be more comfotable in the outfield. That usually worked. I do think it is coaches responsibility to inform parents of the risks especialy if they are new to the game. JMO

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It's a dead horse that's being beaten now. Unless someone wants to argue that all softball seasons should begin with the handing out of facemasks and trophies, I think we've covered this topic pretty well.

I like the NH state motto, Live Free or Die, and my DD will wear a facemask at corner IF as long as she lives under my roof (and her coaches play the corners in more than halfway for the 3 and 4 hitters).

/thread

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It's a dead horse that's being beaten now. Unless someone wants to argue that all softball seasons should begin with the handing out of facemasks and trophies, I think we've covered this topic pretty well.

I like the NH state motto, Live Free or Die, and my DD will wear a facemask at corner IF as long as she lives under my roof (and her coaches play the corners in more than halfway for the 3 and 4 hitters).

/thread

:eek: OH, NO! Wait a minute, just one more thought... :D

If there is no mandate to wear specific safety equipment that one believes should be included in the game, the player can wear anything they want (assuming within uniform specs).

If a piece of equipment is mandated, they TELL you what you may wear and your choices are limited.

I know which option I would prefer.

Oct 31, 2010
8u TB??

Oy vey.

It's always fun around here when discussions about stupid rules reveal other stupid things going on in the world of softball.

If you knew how bad our rec rules are here you would understand why they have 8u TB. The city writes their own rules for softball and they are VERY VERY watered down rules from the real game. This is off topic and not so stupid when you know why they do it so I won't go into details. If you want a real good laugh I can pm you a link to our city rulebook.

Jul 28, 2008
I am against a sanction wide or league mandate. However, if she plays on my team, I mandate. How's that for hypocrisy? If a parent or child does not like that, they still have the choice to choose another team. There are several in the area. I've been around this game long enough to see three girls removed from the field on a stretcher after being hit by a batted ball. I don't want that to happen under my watch.

I used to mandate all my players on the field at the 1st year 10U level, it's now pitcher and corners as they age up and have better reflexes and abilities. I have not told my middle infield they are relieved from my mandate, I just say pitcher and corners.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish