Another arguement FOR facemasks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
You think wanting parents to be good and protect their children is an ego thing?

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. That's another great thing that is disappearing in this country. Thanks.

Based on everything I've written on this subject I'm not sure what warped logic you're using to think that you and I are on opposite sides of the issue...but have a Merry Christmas anyway...

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
You think wanting parents to be good and protect their children is an ego thing?

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. That's another great thing that is disappearing in this country. Thanks.

Did it ever enter you thoughts that some parents let their daughters play, but don't know a lot about the sport - so they don't KNOW all the risks involved. It is not wrong for these parents to entrust the coaches and leagues to know more about safety than they do.

It would be great if every parent had the time to educate themselves about this, but hardly realistic. The rule itself will serve to educate many folks who wouldn't be aware otherwise.

Good decision.

Oct 31, 2010
Did it ever enter you thoughts that some parents let their daughters play, but don't know a lot about the sport - so they don't KNOW all the risks involved. It is not wrong for these parents to entrust the coaches and leagues to know more about safety than they do.

So true, how many girls have showed up to play 8U with tee ball gloves that are so small they can't fit a softball in it. Some parents think the glove is suppose to be the size of their child's hand. I had a dad get mad at me because I had his daughter use my glove instead of her tee ball glove. She was a very good player who was less afraid of the ball with a bigger glove but daddy couldn't see that :( There are a lot of parents who just don't know or even think about the risks. I didn't see a need for 8u coach pitch to have masks until we went to our first TB tournament, girls in our rec league are usually using $15 - $30 Wal-Mart bats and most don't hit the ball very hard.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Where I live, they made it a rule (LL) that 3B in the U12 division (only) must wear facemasks - unless of course, the league hasn't issued a facemask to that team. IMHO, rules are necessary when most of the adults are ignorant (I'm talking about in my town, not on this board).

I've mentioned in other posts that on my U12 team we have mandated that all infielders must wear a facemask. we have seen some girls choose to wear this in the OF as well. On the other hand, we have seen girls who refuse to wear the mask miss easy pop-ups in the shallow OF because they are afraid of the ball, turn their head and blindly jab at the ball at the last second.

I have also seen bad hops off the facemask turned into outs rather than base hits with an injury. I would take the former over the latter any day.

We also get lots of questions, sometimes with snickering, about the facemasks from parents on other teams and boys. Oddly enough, the boys seem to understand the concept quicker than the parents do.

Mar 13, 2010
On the other hand, we have seen girls who refuse to wear the mask miss easy pop-ups in the shallow OF because they are afraid of the ball, turn their head and blindly jab at the ball at the last second.

That's nothing to do with the mask, but a coaching issue.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

It would be great if every parent had the time to educate themselves about this, but hardly realistic. The rule itself will serve to educate many folks who wouldn't be aware otherwise.

Good decision.

Well, you know, educating oneself about a situation someone is placing their child is part of being a parent, is it not? And a good parent finds the time when it comes to their children.

This rule does absolutely nothing to educate anyone, but those already educated. The lazy parent is going to let others to be held responsible for their children and this will continue until forced to be responsible for their children. These parents will send whatever money to coach says they need, then show up at a game a month later and ask why the infielders are wearing masks.

Cynical view? Yes, but not unrealistic.

I don't buy into the sheeple method of living. I do not support a rule that tells everyone how to run their life because of a few people do not want the responsibility of being good parents.

But that is me. However, no matter what the subject, I prefer to run my own life and expect others to be equally responsible.

You are right MTR. EVERY single aspect should not have a heirarchy rule on it. Fielding face masks are an option, not a mandate. What gets under my skin, as I and several others have posted, is a parent(s) wishing or wanting their player to wear a fielding mask but say their kid just won't. Thats just silly. Our kids do their homework when told to, come home on curfew etc. I train 8 girls one the side, one being my DD and her mask is not an option, but willingly puts it on when she puts on her glove. (except in the outfield if she plays or practices there) 6 of my girls wear the same masks by their own choice. And I also train 2 boys in baseball. One is a catcher and the other is a pitcher and mid-infielder. My boy pitcher now wears a mask and has two differant ones. He mainly wears the one my DD wears, but at wierd times wants to wear the other. No rhyme or reason. This is not trying to glorify my DD, but my girls, and boy, that wear these masks say they want to wear one because she does. (my DD) They see her in tourneys, and see her practice on lesson days etc and knows shes a stud so to speak. She is an incredible impact player and they seem to want to sort of "copy" her in lack of better terms. Not that she's some sort of celebrity, but kind of like how we bought Air Jordon's because they made Michael jump so high, and they were cool. Why do alot of kids buy or have parents buy certain bats? Because of who endorses them alot of times. I know, my DD has all of Team USA's bats. Cat, Jenny, Jessica, Lisa, Bustos, but uses her Stealth mainly. Sheesh. So in a way, she is ensorsing wearing this mask, and others, even some boys, are wearing them because a hotshot player wears one. SO many parents have said they were relieved and would have never thought they would ever get them to wear a mask. If you want them to wear one, just tell them they are going to. They might just influence another player that is worried about what their friends will say. Check out this link. This is my DD last year in 14U. She is now 18UA. The company asked about why we liked this mask and some multiple orders we made. (DD gave some as birthday presents) I told them why, and they decided to spotlight her and some other players that wear this mask. http://bangerzsports.blogspot.com/2010_11_01_archive.html I am in Maxillofacial Surgery, and I am NOT wanting to see my DD in the operating room firsthand. Let them know that it IS cool to wear ANY mask if they want to and also cool if their TEAMMATES/FRIENDS want to. Be safe everyone, and have fun.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
On the other hand, we have seen girls who refuse to wear the mask miss easy pop-ups in the shallow OF because they are afraid of the ball, turn their head and blindly jab at the ball at the last second.
That's nothing to do with the mask, but a coaching issue.
I posted it as an example of kids who are clearly afraid of the ball, but too cool to wear a face mask.
As coaches we cannot affect individuals practice outside of team practices. We have a limited amount of time to work with the whole team at team practices as it is. A kid who wears her mask in the outfield is telling me she is going to try. a kid who refuses to wear a msk period shows me she has other priorities.

out of curiosity, do you have any kids?

May 25, 2010
I didn't see a need for 8u coach pitch to have masks until we went to our first TB tournament...
8u TB??

Oy vey.

It's always fun around here when discussions about stupid rules reveal other stupid things going on in the world of softball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish