Any tips for propane heater setups in these cold early spring games?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 14, 2019
what's your method for keeping the heat on you?
Not sure what you're asking here...We (translation: my wife) just point it at us and crank it up. Of course she's usually also got blankets and jackets on as well. If it's mostly a one person being cold thing (like we have), I'd look into getting a heated jacket/vest and an extra battery. We bought one for about $100 off Amazon a few years ago and it's worked amazingly well.

Jul 18, 2022
I have a heated vest (past Christmas gift), rechargeable handwarmers, Uggs, and an Outdoor Research parka rated for 35 degrees or so. I'm in SoCal and I know it's not as bad in other areas but it does get cold and windy in the mornings and night in the desert area here. We have a camping heater but I haven't needed it with this setup. I think the coat was the winner, it's crazy warm and no need to buy propane tanks or get refills!

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Use one of these a couple times a year and they work well. My wife will sit with feet against fence with a blanket over her legs and this underneath- just have to be really carefull to not set the blanket on fire. If it is windy they don't work as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a family that uses a version of this in their dual-person pod. It works really well. They of course leave the "doors" somewhat open to allow venting. I've never sat in it, but DD has jumped in between back-to-back games to warm up.

I'll also say layering is key, no matter what you do for a propane heater solution. I swear by merino-wool base layers. You can find them in variable thicknesses. I made a switch to them for hunting years ago and will never go back. Socks, lowers, and upper base layers. It helps so much. Then if you have an outer layer that can cut the wind (blanket, jacket/pants)....you'll be surprised how warm you stay.

Heated socks/vest/jacket is also not a bad idea.

Really, anything you can do to keep your head, hands, feet, and torso warm is huge in overall staying comfortable and warm.

Gotta love early Spring outdoor sports.

Dec 11, 2010
Actual boots with Thinsulate. I really like Danners, will only buy “re-craftable” soles.

These are almost like insulated underwear: (Trust me, if its really cold and not “60* in Florida cold”, you will love these)

The only cotton you should be wearing:

Merino wool and or fleece layers under a parka. Hat and gloves. Menards has black leather Thinsulate gloves for $15 or so that you can still use your fingers to do anything but use your phone.

Have a buddy that has a Milwaukee heated vest. He loves it.

The mistake people make is under dressing. Because you are sitting still not moving, you need to dress much warmer than you think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles