Another arguement FOR facemasks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I was watching the cricket today and thinking about this topic. What brought it up (and this is something EVERYONE at softball noticed and commented on) the wicket keeper for the English team (essentially it's the catcher, though they don't have a specific spot to stand) was squatting directly behind the wicket with no face mask I was horrified at watching it. (especially when the wide shot came on the TV and I could see his helmet ten feet behind him) Yet all the batters have masks over their faces (think lacrosse helmets) and some of the players who play in the slips (really close, like the pivots) wear masks as well, though more like the batting style helmets.

Simillar sports, yet some incredibly different attitudes towards safety.

Is it possible for anyone to explain the game of cricket in less 5 minutes or 1000 words? Just wonderin'

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Update: Our local rec league (ASA) recently announced that starting in 2011, ALL pitchers in all divisions will be required to wear facemasks. It's my understanding that the league is doing this in anticipation that ASA will make it a mandatory requirement in the near future. I think this is a good development with safety being the #1 priority.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Update: Our local rec league (ASA) recently announced that starting in 2011, ALL pitchers in all divisions will be required to wear facemasks. It's my understanding that the league is doing this in anticipation that ASA will make it a mandatory requirement in the near future. I think this is a good development with safety being the #1 priority.

Another stupid move and I don't think it has a prayer in ASA

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
i don't know why anyone would say a league mandating masks (thereby futher protecting itself from potential lawsuits) is making a "stupid" move. And I saw many, many masks this past weekend being worn by pitchers with well-established organizations that one might typically think would throw the "she's only being taught to be afraid of the ball" or "coward" label around...so perhaps proactive safety "insurance" is a little more common these days.

But I would be shocked if ASA ever mandated masks...because other sanctioning bodies would immediately grab the "you don't have to be wimp to play with us" mantle and run with it...

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
i don't know why anyone would say a league mandating masks (thereby futher protecting itself from potential lawsuits) is making a "stupid" move. And I saw many, many masks this past weekend being worn by pitchers with well-established organizations that one might typically think would throw the "she's only being taught to be afraid of the ball" or "coward" label around...so perhaps proactive safety "insurance" is a little more common these days.

But I would be shocked if ASA ever mandated masks...because other sanctioning bodies would immediately grab the "you don't have to be wimp to play with us" mantle and run with it...

Good post. I'm not an expert in ASA decision making but once the younger players start seeing more and more high-profile pitchers in college and the professional ranks wearing fask masks (for both fielding and pitching) it will become commonplace equipment for most players and the softball governing bodies will eventually make it mandatory. At the very least, IMO it will become as popular as batting gloves and face masks manufacturers will make the masks lighter and more comfortable as demand grows for them. I don't believe this is a genie that can be put back in the bottle...

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Not shocked I have to explain this. BTW, such rules can only cause more successful lawsuits.

No one is suggesting masks not be worn. For that matter, ASA addresses protective equipment in the rule book (3.5.F). At no time is any defensive player forbidden from wearing protective equipment above that required.

Is everyone that forgetful or ignorant of the fiasco brought about when the batting helmet masks were mandated? Those parents who were smart enough to put there children in the appropriate gear were mandated into buying new equipment. If ASA mandated masks for infielders and pitchers, it would not take effect for at least a year, maybe longer. That is how long it would take to establish a standard, run through NOCSAE's probationary period and put on the market. Meanwhile, all those who have already equipped their child will be required to buy all new equipment with the appropriate NOCSAE certification. And why would this be necessary? To avoid the lawsuits after every injury caused by an inferior product get on the field.

I believe it is a stupid rule because if parents would act like parents, none of these type of rules would be necessary. There is, however, a coward tag that goes with these rules and it applies to the parents and coaches who place the players in jeopardy waiting on someone to tell them how to be the responsible one.

I would like to think none of the associations would mandate them because they would have enough respect for the parents who are smart enough to take the appropriate actions to benefit the welfare of their children and force the others to have the courage to fulfill their responsibility as a parent.

Next thing you know you will be expecting a rule requiring a defender to wear a glove :rolleyes:

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Not shocked I have to explain this. BTW, such rules can only cause more successful lawsuits.

No one is suggesting masks not be worn. For that matter, ASA addresses protective equipment in the rule book (3.5.F). At no time is any defensive player forbidden from wearing protective equipment above that required.

Is everyone that forgetful or ignorant of the fiasco brought about when the batting helmet masks were mandated? Those parents who were smart enough to put there children in the appropriate gear were mandated into buying new equipment. If ASA mandated masks for infielders and pitchers, it would not take effect for at least a year, maybe longer. That is how long it would take to establish a standard, run through NOCSAE's probationary period and put on the market. Meanwhile, all those who have already equipped their child will be required to buy all new equipment with the appropriate NOCSAE certification. And why would this be necessary? To avoid the lawsuits after every injury caused by an inferior product get on the field.

I believe it is a stupid rule because if parents would act like parents, none of these type of rules would be necessary. There is, however, a coward tag that goes with these rules and it applies to the parents and coaches who place the players in jeopardy waiting on someone to tell them how to be the responsible one.

I would like to think none of the associations would mandate them because they would have enough respect for the parents who are smart enough to take the appropriate actions to benefit the welfare of their children and force the others to have the courage to fulfill their responsibility as a parent.

Next thing you know you will be expecting a rule requiring a defender to wear a glove :rolleyes:

Wow - nice ego...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish