Another arguement FOR facemasks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
One of the points that has been missed is IMO, the % of injuries per 1000 players has not really changed in the last 20-30 years. When I was playing injuries happened, just part of any physical activity. The main difference is the number of kids involved in softball at multiple levels, there are just more players so the number of injuries goes up. But the % of injuries to players stays the same.

Yes, but 30 years ago they didn't have the equipment to blame and the ambulance chasers suing anyone with a wallet.

I would propose they start 2012 in 10u and make the FM a rule. And from that 2012 10U group forward in THEIR older years. And letting the 2012 12-14-16-18 faze out with the option and boom, there you have a new set of young players who will be use to playing with the protection.

Not a shot. The first time someone older got hurt, there would be the claim that by mandating the safety equipment, the sanctioning body admits the danger of the game and was negligent in not applying the rule to all minors.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Yes, but 30 years ago they didn't have the equipment to blame and the ambulance chasers suing anyone with a wallet.

Not a shot. The first time someone older got hurt, there would be the claim that by mandating the safety equipment, the sanctioning body admits the danger of the game and was negligent in not applying the rule to all minors.

It should be no different than the 43' rule. First college, then 18u, then 16u, now 14u, and who knows what age group is next. FM rule in reverse order, youngest to oldest.

It's a sad world we are creating with all the lawsuits. No freedom of choice without fears of losing $$. But that's another post. :)

Jul 28, 2008
shockcoach,
July in Lacey at ASA state a 10U pitcher took a line drive to the face--tipped off her glove I was told. Obviously, a mess. Was it one of your girls? Did you see it? My DD now wears one during infield practice and games. No discussion, nor debate.

This fall I saw a 12U girl ( second base ) get hit in the mouth from a throw--cracked her gums and she was a bloody mess--from a throw. Can't imagine a line drive to the mouth.

This was not one of my girls at the time of the accident and I did not see it. She was on our other team. She is, however, on my team now. She took a line drive to the face. From those who were there, they said she tried to get her glove up, but didn't get a glove on it. She had 6 fractures from the upper jaw to just below the eye socket on the cheek bone. She was cleared two months ago to run again. Right now she always wears a face mask. She had a Gameface in her bag, but didn't like it and did not wear it. Two weeks after she got hit, I loaned my daughters Rip-It to her parents for her to try on. She loves it and it's on her during all throwing and drills.

She pitched a fall game for us and did very well. Fortunately she was not afraid of being hit after the pitch was thrown.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
After reading through this thread, I think it's important to distinguish between injuries that occur as a result of a batted ball and those that occur on a thrown ball. There have been arguments made here to the effect that they've seen girls get hurt when they missed a throw. Sorry, I don't buy that as an argument. They need to catch the ball. Any ball that hits leather ought to be caught, unless it's a rocket fired from point-blank range. In which case I blame the thrower for not understanding what's needed to make a throw from that distance. It's important to understand cause and effect, not just look at the effect and say "how terrible."

The argument on a batted ball, on the other hand, is a legitimate one. There, you have a cause. THAT would be the reason for a player to wear a mask. If she gets a benefit on her poor catching technique too then so be it.

We had an outfielder break her nose this summer on a fly ball. No idea why it happened to this day. The sun was behind her, she had a perfect bead on the ball. I was watching from the sideline while warming up a pitcher. I figured we were out of the inning then bam! She's on the ground with blood streaming out. I don't see that as a lack of a mask. I see it as not catching the ball. Unfortunate, but she had plenty of time to get her glove up, and she's certainly capable of making that catch. She just didn't.

She now wears a mask at all times on the field. I don't find it to be a negative at all. Whatever it takes to get the play made. But I don't think it was a lack of a mask that caused the injury. It was not catching a catchable ball.

Mar 13, 2010
Just thought I'd pop this here. I got hit today pitching. Ball came back with an extra 20km on it. I deflected it slightly (and would have caught it if I wasn't hungover, so this is my error) but was still hit. Not in the face but in a part no woman (or man) wants to be hit. (very private area) I was in the fetal position for about two minutes before I managed to walk off (coaches either side supporting me, wouldn't let them carry me. It's a silly thought, but I've always believed that unless I'm too injured that I want to walk off the diamond), then went straight back to that position for the rest of the game.

May 25, 2010
I'm not for or against protection masks....

I would propose they start 2012 in 10u and make the FM a rule. And from that 2012 10U group forward in THEIR older years. And letting the 2012 12-14-16-18 faze out with the option and boom, there you have a new set of young players who will be use to playing with the protection.

You're 'for'. ;)

I'm 'for', too, however I'm not for a game-wide mandate. The mask is mandated, however, for *my* 8yo this coming spring.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
This is interesting because of the bigger philosophical picture that it painted in my mind.
This thread is a perfect illustration of a collectivist mentality vs an individualist mentality.
The collectivist wants there to be a mandate for the "good of the group" whilst the liberty-minded wants there to individual responsibility for their choices. (good and bad)
We see it all the time. Group thinkers say they are looking out for "everyones safety collectively" however sometimes their solutions create more rigidity and that always diminishes freedom of choice.
I like Shock coaches signature that says
"You abide by the ramifications of your decisions." I wish more people actually lived by those words.

Thanks for the interesting insights on both sides.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
"Live Free or Die" - this is my home state's license plate motto. (Can you name the state w/out google help?)

FWIW - My DD wears a Rip-It FM when she plays corner IF because I say so (and because my wife allows me to). We've spent way more at the orthodontists than gets spent on field maintenance AND some coaches have her more than 1/2 way in during possible bunt situations.

GM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd