Any tips for propane heater setups in these cold early spring games?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
Got a pretty cold one to watch tonight. Really, it's just the sitting still that makes it more chilly, but regardless I expect the wife to want to break out our new buddy heater.

I'll have the hot hands packets, but we aren't quite to the level of buying a two person pod yet. Any tips for minimizing heat loss for two people sitting in chairs? Best I can think of at the moment is to share a blanket and let it drape to the ground, then point the heater facing us from behind and see if it'll radiate off the blanket and float up a bit.

Apr 25, 2019
I saw this the other day on a hunting forum. I'd be curious to see how it does but this may be an idea too. My only issue with buddy heaters is the heat kind of just rises. You get some radiant heat out front and that's good for my feet but I want some air movement.

Nov 18, 2022
Use one of these a couple times a year and they work well. My wife will sit with feet against fence with a blanket over her legs and this underneath- just have to be really carefull to not set the blanket on fire. If it is windy they don't work as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Gotta sit on the blanket then wrap up and over the tops of the legs. Cuts out the breeze hitting the backs of the legs when you just drape over the top.
A little hot chocolate with a certain "peppermint aroma" also helps.

Jan 25, 2022
I saw this the other day on a hunting forum. I'd be curious to see how it does but this may be an idea too. My only issue with buddy heaters is the heat kind of just rises. You get some radiant heat out front and that's good for my feet but I want some air movement.

I had been looking at those actually, and just ordered the dual version. The worst thing for me is my feet and hands. The cold just creeps up from the ground. I probably should get some thermal boots but I know if I do, we'll be playing in 70 degrees the rest of the season. We had a game last year where it was 28 and gusting like 20-30mph winds the whole time. I've never been so miserable. But the whole season was just way colder than normal, and I swore I would prepare this time around.

Jan 25, 2022
Gotta sit on the blanket then wrap up and over the tops of the legs. Cuts out the breeze hitting the backs of the legs when you just drape over the top.
A little hot chocolate with a certain "peppermint aroma" also helps.
The hot chocolate around here sucks. When I did the starter order for our concessions, I told my cohort that we would have good hot chocolate or NO hot chocolate. I guess we'll find out Thursday at the next home game.

Feb 14, 2019

We use a setup like this and it works well. I used my angle grinder to cut a slot in the base of the fan so it hooks onto the wire guard of the buddy heater nicely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles