1st college showcase

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
She just turned 14 in August...do we still contact them this early? I thought that would start next year.

Our daughters are almost exactly the same age (my DD turned 14 in late July). DD has played in one showcase this Fall and will be playing in two more (one in Kansas city and the other in Atlanta). Most showcases have websites with a list of colleges that are either confirmed or invited. For the earlier showcase, my daughter waited until the schedule was released and then sent an email to several college coaches basically inviting them to the games. I do think she's a little young, but then again, there is no harm and it's good experience.

Aug 14, 2011
As much as the Coaches watch skills on the field, many will also be watching conduct on and off the field. How does the player react after a bad play, in the dug out, warming up, in the parking lot. Do they take care of all their equipment or does the family get left the equipment and bags to carry. How does the player act around their parents. How do the parents react during the game etc.

This is true. Many times, especially at your DD's age, the coaches do not care about the outcome of her performance. They are looking for good mechanics, composure, maturity and interactions with the team and with their parents. They are busy so sometimes all they have is 5 min to watch a kid during warmups and then they move on. They want hard workers with good attitudes. If they see the athleticism and all else lines up, they'll come back and look again.
Another thing: remind her that she never knows who is watching, or when. Many college coaches will be easily identifiable- clip boards, head to toe team gear. But many others fade into the background and you never see them, or they have other people take a look for them. My DD rec'd offers to play at schools that had "watched" her in a particular tournament, and none of us nor her travel coach had ever seen these coaches around at all. But they were there (or their "eyes" were!) because they knew specifics on my daughter's play.

Parents are also being watched. No coach wants overbearing or obnoxious parents hanging around a college field. Make sure you are on your best behavior and be careful what you say and where you say it. Even simple comments like "Oh no! She always drops those fly balls" can look negative on you and definitely on a player or team. And again, that "grandma" sitting in the bleachers near you may not really be a normal spectator at all . . .

But tell her to have fun! Coaches are not monsters and have seen many players. If your daughter is respectful, gives 110% and has fun, she will do just fine!

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
One big difference that you may see in a showcase tournament is situational play, e.g. each team may start with a runner on third one inning, first and second the next, etc., in order for coaches to see how the situation is handled. Modified rules may also allow roster batting and free substitution to allow players to be seen, so if DD is speedy she'll be courtesy running a lot. Game times are usually drop-dead to keep things on schedule.

Sep 18, 2011
One big difference that you may see in a showcase tournament is situational play, e.g. each team may start with a runner on third one inning, first and second the next, etc., in order for coaches to see how the situation is handled. Modified rules may also allow roster batting and free substitution to allow players to be seen, so if DD is speedy she'll be courtesy running a lot. Game times are usually drop-dead to keep things on schedule.

Good point. You described exactly what happened at the ASA Heartland showcase in Des Moines a few weeks ago. It was a little odd starting innings with runners on base, but it was fun nonetheless. Also, one girl on another team batted about 6 times one game (a coach was there to watch her spcifically). So obviously a lot of rules go out the window at a showcase. And for heaven's sake don't sacrifice bunt!! Our head coach wasn't able to attend and one of the parents took over coaching duties (former pro baseball player). He did a great job running the show but I was mortified that he had the girls sacrifice at a showcase. Coaches want to see the girls hit.

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
She just turned 14 in August...do we still contact them this early? I thought that would start next year.

It is never too early to start!! remember this is a spring sport so she really doesn't have a senior year. Many colleges require admissions commitments and financial aid acceptence by May 1st of the senior year and the HS ball season has just started. She will be evaluated from 14U-16U the only reason a coach should be interested in an 18U team is if they have a stud playing up an age group.

Bear in mind that until Jul 22 of her Soph-Junior summer DII can talk to her and Sep 1 of her junior year DI. Any contact you make before then is a one way street. As one DI coach told us "You can never email your schedule, updates, or info too much. We collect it all until we can talk to you. Send as much as you can as often as you can we just can't say anything." So get your name on their list at 14 and keep 'bugging them' until you have a chance to talk.

Also, video is important only if it shows skills and is short (3-4mins). Game footage is confusing as the coach isn't sure if the batter or fielder is important.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
Good point. You described exactly what happened at the ASA Heartland showcase in Des Moines a few weeks ago. It was a little odd starting innings with runners on base, but it was fun nonetheless. Also, one girl on another team batted about 6 times one game (a coach was there to watch her spcifically). So obviously a lot of rules go out the window at a showcase. And for heaven's sake don't sacrifice bunt!! Our head coach wasn't able to attend and one of the parents took over coaching duties (former pro baseball player). He did a great job running the show but I was mortified that he had the girls sacrifice at a showcase. Coaches want to see the girls hit.

We were in Des Moines also, DD loved all the pinch running she got to do.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish