Showcase camps are they worth it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Second question, how intense are the camps at showcases for pitchers. I don’t want to send my kid to a 3 hour pitching camp where she throws 300 pitches before a tournament.

We attended the Georgia Tech camp last year. She threw about 50 pitches max. No one cared.

Most coaches huddled and chatting with each other, the pitching coach was leading the "drills" - they paid attention to one 11th grader who hit the highest mark on the radar but not much to anyone else. Especially not my 7th grader, which was fine. We were there just because it was local and we were curious.

Jan 16, 2020
The absolute best exposure I’ve ever personally seen….Bryan Pack of USC Upstate puts on a showcase tournament in the little podunk town of Walterboro, SC.

He invites 15, 20, etc D1, D2, and D3 coaches (not really sure just how many coaches?). The college coaches would actually coach the games and the actual team coaches would step aside. Each team would have 2 to 3 coaches, so the possibility of 6 coaches on the field during your teams game.

It can be stressful but I remember the exact game that got my DD recruited in that little town!
Agree 100%. Coach Pack camps are worth the money. Teams or individual players can sign up. Elite 80 if you want to research them.

Apr 17, 2019
I probably should have been more clear, when I said worth it I meant from a recruiting standpoint, not so much instructional.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I probably should have been more clear, when I said worth it I meant from a recruiting standpoint, not so much instructional.
Yes and no. Lots of good information in this thread. You gotta create the chatter with your DD. If no coaches ever see your kid, then no coaches will see your kid. You also must be strategic in which camps to attend. DD attended tons of camps, but she ended up at a school where no coach ever attended a camp. The coach came specifically to come watch DD at a game, then subsequent games. But by DD attending those camps she learned how to "show up and show out" and got real comfortable with the process and stood out. So was it worth it? Absolutely. It's part of the process.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Over 80% of 'showcases' are really good for the 'numbers' players - if your kid is 6' tall and athletics (or powerful) or can run like lightning or pitch 65mph or hit front toss 260', it doesn't matter how terrible a player they are, these camps are great. D1 is FULL of these players sitting on benches. That not your kid? You are just making up the numbers for your money.

Because like most coaches, most college coaches think they are going to be the one to harness all that talent and be the one that 'fixes' that talent into skill. No matter how ridiculous that is and no matter how many others have tried it.

A few showcase camps are not like this; Headfirst looking for smart kids for example is probably the best example, though numbers help even there depending on the college.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Over 80% of 'showcases' are really good for the 'numbers' players - if your kid is 6' tall and athletics (or powerful) or can run like lightning or pitch 65mph or hit front toss 260', it doesn't matter how terrible a player they are, these camps are great. D1 is FULL of these players sitting on benches. That not your kid? You are just making up the numbers for your money.

Because like most coaches, most college coaches think they are going to be the one to harness all that talent and be the one that 'fixes' that talent into skill. No matter how ridiculous that is and no matter how many others have tried it.

A few showcase camps are not like this; Headfirst looking for smart kids for example is probably the best example, though numbers help even there depending on the college.
Why does that happen? Why wouldn't they learn from their mistakes? Do some of these players lose the scholarship money when the coach finally realizes that the kid cant hit? Of course, its not the coaches fault... The kid just didn't work hard enough.
When college coaches spot 'number' player do they check the players max preps numbers or TB teams gamechanger? Maybe they should. I know a player that can hit coach pitch front toss literally 260 feet, 7 or 8 out 10 pitches, BUT she could hit water if she fell out of a boat come game time.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Why does that happen? Why wouldn't they learn from their mistakes? Do some of these players lose the scholarship money when the coach finally realizes that the kid cant hit? Of course, its not the coaches fault... The kid just didn't work hard enough.
When college coaches spot 'number' player do they check the players max preps numbers or TB teams gamechanger? Maybe they should. I know a player that can hit coach pitch front toss literally 260 feet, 7 or 8 out 10 pitches, BUT she could hit water if she fell out of a boat come game time.

Mostly because college coaches are just like every other coach; and in a lot of D1's and D2's for that matter, they can have a roster size that can cope with having extra players around as long as they are not taking up too much. And most players are on minimal enough scholarships you can play around and have them around if you are only giving them 10%. Or in some conferences you are giving them 4 years (even though most athletic scholarships are year to year). And some will just 'go away' on their own, so the problem solves itself...

And as I said, it doesn't matter what their stats are in travel or HS - as long as they look the part. Many coaches think they can fix it or coach it up or whatever. And some athletes can be athletic - but will never develop the skill they need no matter how hard they work. Teammate of mine in college in D1 basketball - capable of jumping out of the building - couldn't do a layup. Couldn't time a rebound. Couldn't catch a pass. Just wasn't in him. No finesse. But man he could jump. It was like a slam dunk contest pre-game. Not letting him on the court to play though.

Many players look at it as 'failure' if they leave team or college so they stay. Or their parents make them or guilt them into it. Or maybe they like it. I don't know in many cases.

Couple of my DD's old HS teammates are perfect examples of looking the part; every game my DD gets more at bats and innings played at her college than they have had in their entire college career (they are juniors right now). Just looked up one stats... Junior, career stats: 3 AB, 0-3, Pinch Ran 2x, played Flex 4 times for 3 PO and 1 assist.... 3 full seasons.

Jun 8, 2016
When college coaches spot 'number' player do they check the players max preps numbers or TB teams gamechanger?
Just because a kid cannot hit in college doesn't mean they didn't hit in TB.
I have a hard time believing many kids who hit .250 in TB are on the rosters of D1 teams...I don't care if they hit the ball
350 ft in camps..

Now perhaps if the coach had seen enough games against competition which would be similar to what
the kid would face in college she might get a better inkling but even that doesn't mean it would be 100% accurate.
Sometimes it is hard to predict how a particular swing flaw might manifest itself at a higher level over the course of long season
(with better scouting..)

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2014
Agree with this 100% but will also add college coaches also think they need to "fix" the players who were very successful prior to showing up on their campus. Their ego seems to make them think they know a "better way" that is needed to be successful at the college level. Have seen it firsthand on DD's college team as well as with numerous others from her travel team that are all freshman on D1 rosters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad