Showcase camps are they worth it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I have a hard time believing many kids who hit .250 in TB are on the rosters of D1 teams...I don't care if they hit the ball
350 ft in camps..

Now perhaps if the coach had seen enough games against competition which would be similar to what
the kid would face in college she might get a better inkling but even that doesn't mean it would be 100% accurate.
Sometimes it is hard to predict how a particular swing flaw might manifest itself at a higher level over the course of long season
(with better scouting..)

"Just because a kid cannot hit in college doesn't mean they didn't hit in TB."
But if they couldn't hit in TB they probably not going to hit very well in college.

Are you suggesting they would be looking at TB stats? I would hope so.

I have been to a very limited amount of college camps(4) but I noticed that some (not all) coaches pay attention to the pitcher who throws velo and the hitter that hits bombs off coach pitch. The pitcher could be wild and the hitter's swing could be longer than Bill Parcels belt but that's who is turning heads. I think a better test for determining who might be able to hit at college level is to set pitching machine at 67-70 mph. Good hitters with potential will barrel up the ball with the majority of her swings and coach pitch bomber player will most likely be swinging under the ball and be heard saying, "I don't like hitting off the machine." Similar to the jumper that cant make a lay up but loves to dunk.

Jun 8, 2016
But if they couldn't hit in TB they probably not going to hit very well in college.

Are you suggesting they would be looking at TB stats? I would hope so.
All I am saying is that hitting well in TB is no guarantee of success in college ball eg all these kids littering the benches in college are not necessarily all kids that were picked solely because of their prowess in camp front toss. College ball is a different animal on multiple fronts.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Agree with this 100% but will also add college coaches also think they need to "fix" the players who were very successful prior to showing up on their campus. Their ego seems to make them think they know a "better way" that is needed to be successful at the college level. Have seen it firsthand on DD's college team as well as with numerous others from her travel team that are all freshman on D1 rosters.
Maybe that's why this team does so well. Start at 13 minute mark.

Jun 8, 2016
Maybe that's why this team does so well. Start at 13 minute mark.

From what I have heard (from a reliable source) JT apparently tried changing Alo’s swing after her freshmen year. It got to the point that she called Lauren Chamberlain and told her she forgot how to hit. LC told her to ignore JT…That was the year that Patty made her take a week off during the season to get her head right…

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Agree with this 100% but will also add college coaches also think they need to "fix" the players who were very successful prior to showing up on their campus. Their ego seems to make them think they know a "better way" that is needed to be successful at the college level. Have seen it firsthand on DD's college team as well as with numerous others from her travel team that are all freshman on D1 rosters.
Here's a perfect example of a former D1 coach messing with stud's swing. She was not injured other than the coach messing with her swing and her head. Coach was dismissed after this season. 2020 was Covid and she decided not to play her 5th year even though she was on campus. I wish she had stayed.

1683063363001.png

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
And coaches get it wrong it all the time. I know of 2 players who were Pre Season "Players to Watch" and my gosh they are a having a bad time. Happened to another player last year. Maybe it's like the Madden's NFL video game curse?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
David Eckstien story is very interesting. Because of hitting instruction he was almost out of baseball until he went home for Christmas break and his brother got him back to what worked for 15 years. The rest is history. I am not saying Eckstien was a great hitter but he did win two WS rings.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414