1st college showcase

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
DD will be in her first college showcase soon. What exactly is the difference from other tournaments? Is it just that college coaches may be there?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Usually there is no "winner" like a normal tourney. Wins / losses are just letters of the alphabet and have no merit. Kinda like pool games that are pre scheduled but no seeding / no brackets that you're actually "playing for".

Colleges are there to watch individuals, not recruit the whole team. So if your pitcher is getting rocked but you on SS are making beautiful plays, that's what the college looks for. They could care less if the team loses by 10 runs, they are eying 1-2 position players.

It's different if you're use to "playing to win" for sure. Colleges also can ask the TB coach to put Sally at any position for a look, happens often.

Oct 10, 2011
Usually there is no "winner" like a normal tourney. Wins / losses are just letters of the alphabet and have no merit. Kinda like pool games that are pre scheduled but no seeding / no brackets that you're actually "playing for".

Colleges are there to watch individuals, not recruit the whole team. So if your pitcher is getting rocked but you on SS are making beautiful plays, that's what the college looks for. They could care less if the team loses by 10 runs, they are eying 1-2 position players.

It's different if you're use to "playing to win" for sure. Colleges also can ask the TB coach to put Sally at any position for a look, happens often.
That's pretty cool. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes...DD is only 14 but it should be a good experience.

Dec 7, 2011
That's pretty cool. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes...DD is only 14 but it should be a good experience.

Note that from my perspective getting U14's into these is a GOOD thing. Waiting til U16 is too late. (It gets them used to being "eye-balled" on an individual basis).

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Showcases are fun for the girls as there is no pressure to win.
I fing that my DD teams have always played well in showcase events as
the coaches are 'letting them play'.

Oct 18, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
One thing I believe in is always playing to win the game. Now, I've had occassion where a coach wants to see a particular player in a particular situation, but overall the message to my team is always -- we're here to win every game. We have goals for the season that include winning tournaments, and we need to learn how to win, and coaches want to see you doing the things you need to do to win.

Overall, that works. The only time it really creates a conflict is when it comes to short game needs -- when you need to get a bunt down to move a runner over, and you have a player that wants to hit away to show what they can do. Of course, getting a bunt down is showing what they can do as well, but that point is often missed.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It is basically a friendly format with game times and opponents predetermined, with no championship game. Teams are managed to showcase kids, not win games. Entry fees are also 2-3X a regular tournament, so make sure you budget for them!!!!

Oct 10, 2011
I'm hoping she doesn't get too worked up over it as she hasn't had much practice this fall. She says she won't but we'll see when the time comes.

Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
For the most part, Coaches go to watch players that have contacted them in advance and expressed interest in their school and program. Make sure your DD sends out emails or calls coaches in advance of the showcase (you never know who may attend and their plans change frequently), give a game schedule and send a follow up email and summary after the showcase.

As much as the Coaches watch skills on the field, many will also be watching conduct on and off the field. How does the player react after a bad play, in the dug out, warming up, in the parking lot. Do they take care of all their equipment or does the family get left the equipment and bags to carry. How does the player act around their parents. How do the parents react during the game etc.

Oct 10, 2011
For the most part, Coaches go to watch players that have contacted them in advance and expressed interest in their school and program. Make sure your DD sends out emails or calls coaches in advance of the showcase (you never know who may attend and their plans change frequently), give a game schedule and send a follow up email and summary after the showcase.

As much as the Coaches watch skills on the field, many will also be watching conduct on and off the field. How does the player react after a bad play, in the dug out, warming up, in the parking lot. Do they take care of all their equipment or does the family get left the equipment and bags to carry. How does the player act around their parents. How do the parents react during the game etc.
She just turned 14 in August...do we still contact them this early? I thought that would start next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish