Showcase camps are they worth it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Second question, how intense are the camps at showcases for pitchers. I don’t want to send my kid to a 3 hour pitching camp where she throws 300 pitches before a tournament.
All depends on the school and time of year. If it’s over the summer or fall, fully expect your dd to throw to live batters in game situations (typically 2-3 innings depending on how many pitchers). She also might throw a bit to a catcher at first using different pitches as the PC walks around and “instructs.”

During winter camps I’ve seen some where girls just pitch to a catcher as the PC and sometimes HC observe, or if there is enough indoor space, they might pitch in games as well. They might also work on drills that the PC walks them through.

Jul 22, 2015
Just like the title says, are the showcase camps worth it or is it better to go to individual college camps that they put on?
If you're talking about typical showcase camps associated with a tournament, then I'd say they are generally worth the price if the schools who attend are of interest to your dd. However, to get your best value you need to be communicating with the schools she is interested in prior to the camp. Let them know to be watching for her and that she is interested in them. You'd be amazed how much difference it makes and how few of the girls will do it.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If you're talking about typical showcase camps associated with a tournament, then I'd say they are generally worth the price if the schools who attend are of interest to your dd. However, to get your best value you need to be communicating with the schools she is interested in prior to the camp. Let them know to be watching for her and that she is interested in them. You'd be amazed how much difference it makes and how few of the girls will do it.

You'll get even better mileage if you communicate with the school she is interested in, go to THEIR stand-alone camp, and be memorable (in a good way).

Feb 7, 2014
Dollar for dollar I think you are better to send your kid to a camp that makes them a better player (think business not fundraiser). Over the last decade the best camps DD went to were not run by schools.

Jul 22, 2015
You'll get even better mileage if you communicate with the school she is interested in, go to THEIR stand-alone camp, and be memorable (in a good way).
No doubt. I view the showcase camps as stage 1 and stand-alone as stage 2.

Jul 22, 2015
Dollar for dollar I think you are better to send your kid to a camp that makes them a better player (think business not fundraiser). Over the last decade the best camps DD went to were not run by schools.
True but I don't view showcase camps or individual school camps as instructional anyway. I see both as part of the recruiting process far more than instructional.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
True but I don't view showcase camps or individual school camps as instructional anyway. I see both as part of the recruiting process far more than instructional.

To put an even finer point on it, for older kids, it's a tryout. IMO, there is no better way to get noticed than attend an individual school camp after putting yourself on their radar via email. For players who've not yet reached their junior year and are looking at D1, this is where/how they can directly interact with the coaches, check out and use the facilities, and show off what they can do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00