14 yo DD Part II

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

crankdd.JPG

When you pull the elbow - you cannot hit with the back of the bottom hand effectively....the two thoughts are completely incompatable....this is not the right direction....all you end up doing is pulling and pushing....no whip....no flow....no roll....

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
well -

when you compare the males to females in your selection of jpegs, ntoice how much more "torque angle" the men have. They are using a different enough pattern that there is more effective upper resistance/hands more behind hips/more stretch and fire.

The women you pick are advanced beyond the total freewheeling lack of resistance/stretch, but could do better.

See HI concepts of "corner" and attacking oppo, for example:

The Corner, Creating, stretching and using the corner teacherman1986 on USTREAM. Baseball

http://www.hittingillustrated.com/images/Step2AttackOppo.mov

Tom-

I think you know that I like and respect you. However I don't agree with hardly anything Richard says in his video. IMO he is wrong on the timing of the coil and uncoil, he is wrong on how the coil unwinds, and he is wrong on how the arms work to get the hands flat. IMO, none of what he says matches slow motion video of the best, nor does it match the pictures, illustrations and words of Ted Williams in "SOH".

Just my opinion of course. Others are free to watch it and make up their own mind. We could probably do an entire thread disproving much of what he says in his video.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
OK . Hers a couple more videos from tonight. The first one she did slow motion to connection and then fast to contact. I noticed her back elbow tucked under again when she tried to speed it up. The second video is a full speed swing, same problems as before. Wasn't expecting a miracle though, lol. Everything looks so good except for those darn elbows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9A1l_nWuuE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uquoFRQ79mY

Wow! The first clip explains a lot. I would seriously rethink whatever drill your using to teach her how the elbows work.

In the interest of helping, I'm going to try and reverse engineer what she's doing here in hopes of getting you and her to see things a little differently.

At the pause in the first clip, ask her to freeze her arms and keep them in that position. Have her rotate her shoulders back square to the plate and have her get back to the toe touch position (Don't let her move her arms yet). Now have her drop her heel and swing.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Wellphyt are you saying that her slow motion looks good?

IMO the way she is working her elbows in the first clip is really messing up her swing. Look at how tightly her rear arm bicep and forearm are pinched when the clip pauses. At this point in the swing the pinch between the bicep and forearm should be releasing. Look at the 4th and 5th pictures of Bustos in the attachment. Notice how she gets her back elbow down and her lead forearm max up prior to her shoulders turning very far. Anytime you see the front forearm max up off the chest, that indicates that the lead hand is flat. Which means that both hands are flat because you can't have one hand flat and one hand not flat, right? So, Bustos gets her hands flat very quickly, like most pros do. In the 6th picture of the attachment as her shoulders start to come around, the "V" in her back arm is releasing.

That's why I suggested that your daughter turn her shoulders back so they are square to the plate, while keeping her arms frozen in the position they are when the clip pauses. This puts her close to the position Bustos is in, in the 4th and 5th clips of the attachment. From that position all she has to do is throw the barrel at the ball.

bustos1..jpg

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Wellphyt ... I use a drill similar to stopping at the "Mankin Power Vee position". I find it beneficial.

Is that at heel plant, and before the hands turn the corner?

Also, I didn't intend to say that Crankermo's DD's swing is a mess. I'm just saying that the upper body action she does up until the pause, indicates to me an incorrect mental image of how the elbows work to get the hands flat.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It's basically practicing getting to the position highlighted below with a 'red' Vee.

Hamilton9_PowV.gif

Kent_PowV.gif

Pujols5_PowV.gif

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Crank

In her slow motion swing, when she starts to rotate her hips look at where her hands are. Middle of her chest?

Look at FFS 3 videos above. The middle one. Number 21. His hips start to rotate look at his hands.
Around the back shoulder.

Look at both and think about it.

Is her upper body getting ahead of her lower body?

Straightleg

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild