Liv's swing 11 yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 21, 2012
New England
Great stuff guys, thank you!
Just finished some tee work out in the garage and I think she actually started to feel it a little bit today. Really excited about it! Got her a little more bending in the knees and feeling her legs and trying to feel the hands turning the barrel through the ball more.
Won't be able to do any front toss or machine until we get in the cage next weekend but that's ok.

Dec 19, 2012
Great cue.
Question: Is palm up-palm down an undesirable hand position at contact? Is it more of a palm back (bottom hand) palm front (top hand)? Or just try for a roll of the bottom hand and actual hand position is a no teach?

Personally, I'm a big palm up/palm down at contact guy. I'm not a big fan of flexion and/or extesion in the wrists at contact because it reduces structural rigidity if you will. Yes.....I tried the hammer experiment.

R

RayR

Personally, I'm a big palm up/palm down at contact guy. I'm not a big fan of flexion and/or extesion in the wrists at contact because it reduces structural rigidity if you will. Yes.....I tried the hammer experiment.

Can you explain this? How else can you use the top hand grip that HC likes across the palm (and I like too) and get to contact where the top hand wrist is bent back (extended position) so that you have real leverage left in the top hand and not have the bottom hand partially rolled over to backhand position?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

IMO, rigidity and wrists should never be used in the same sentence when hitting is being discussed.

Dec 19, 2012
Can you explain this? How else can you use the top hand grip that HC likes across the palm (and I like too) and get to contact where the top hand wrist is bent back (extended position) so that you have real leverage left in the top hand and not have the bottom hand partially rolled over to backhand position?

Ummm.....like this. The top hand in these photos are palm up:

AlbertPujols_weight-back-deep-contact-drawn-for-article.jpg

628x471.jpg

R

RayR

That is not how the preferred position of contact was explained to me that Bustos uses at clinics to show people how the wrists still have leverage....

What about these?

hitter22_zpsb391fc7d.jpg
hitter1_zpsca57b117.jpg

CabreraContact1_zpsfa43be8e.jpg

And this one is a high pitch so the swing plane is not as steep, but you can see the similarities in hand and front elbow position

CabreraContactHigh_zps587c07f8.jpg

Ummm.....like this. The top hand in these photos are palm up:

View attachment 2973

View attachment 2974

Dec 19, 2012
MTS

I'm sorry, I have never been to a Bustos or HC or Bustos/HC clinic so I do not personally know what she teaches. As a matter of fact I have never been introduced to them. Also, I'm at work and sometimes the pics do not come through so I will check them out when I get home.

R

RayR

My bad - just trying to figure where you are coming from....

MTS

I'm sorry, I have never been to a Bustos or HC or Bustos/HC clinic so I do not personally know what she teaches. As a matter of fact I have never been introduced to them. Also, I'm at work and sometimes the pics do not come through so I will check them out when I get home.

Dec 19, 2012
My bad - just trying to figure where you are coming from....

That's just it, I don't follow one particular "guru" or method. I don't come from anywhere in particular. I've seen more hitting videos and read more books than I care to remember. I was fortunate enough to know, play both with and against, and be introduced to various MLB players. I never received more than a "book money" scholarship offer. I'm nobody special.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi