12 YO DD Hitting Video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
This is a quick video of my 12 YO DD hitting off her T. I am trying to break her from casting with her swing. She has been using an insider bat to help her with this along with a fence drill when we are at the ball field practicing.

I try to keep it simple for her and only talk about one or two things at a time to work on. Any advice/suggestions you can give for improvement would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have several please tell me what you think the most important thing she needs to do to improve.

I don't have a way to slow down the video. Last time I posted one, someone was very helpful and reposted my video in slow motion. I am hoping someone can do that again! Thanks!

Caitybug hitting - YouTube

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Not much respone on your post so I thought I would give you a few ideas. Maybe some of the regulars will add to it since I don't post much in hitting.
She needs to get the lower body involved much sooner. At the 9 second mark when her hands are even with her head the bat has flattend out and her back elbow is tucked underneth her hands. Her back heal is barelly off the ground and the hips are just starting to turn. Her finish makes her swing look better but she is mostly using her upper body, an incomplete hip turn and turning her hands over early there by not extending through the ball and driving it. All very common issues.
She should work on many of the things that are brought up in Boomers2012 post about his daughter. "DD's Swing" Read post #10 from Redhotcoach to get an idea of what to work on.
Work on building more tension by starting the lower body first and then releasing the upper to get a quicker and more powerful swing. Also look for posts about turning the barrel. It's one of the most important things to learn so that she can be a really good powerful hitter.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I'll keep it short. Your DD gets into/to the 'good positions' of hitting. I see those positions when I stop the video. So, you ask whats the problem? Your DD's getting to these positions at the wrong time. What will help your DD is reading and learning the proper sequence. Your DD is out of sequence when she's hitting. Right now your DD is only using her arms to power her swing. Very little lower body usage. Lets get the whole body working to support the swing.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
She has a very light swing. As if making contact is the goal and not driving the ball.
What helps some kids get past this (using their body, not just the arms )is hitting deflated basketballs or soccer balls off the tee - but that won't address the casting you mentioned.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
obbay,
Not saying your right or wrong but, I would be very, very careful on hitting deflated basketballs/soccer balls. If a hitters mechanics aren't correct at contact there is a possibility for that hitter to injure themselves. I would instead use Total Control balls. JMHO.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
I tried to gif that video, but there is something different with it that my software doesn't like.

• swinging with her arms and shoulders.
  • sequence needs improved, I'd suggest Happy Gilmore and/or Face the fire.
  • the tee position is too far in front.
  • need a better video that shows the entire swing in the frame.
  • frames 41 & 42 shows pushing with the hands (knob to the ball)

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
RDB- I wasn't sure about posting that because it doesn't help everyone across the board. I've had some kids that it helped a great deal while others did nothing and hurt their wrists. (for example, DD#1 and DD#2)
I love using TCBs but another thing that is good is using 16" softballs. I like ending practice with something fun and one of the most popular practice-ending events is to have hitting contests with the 16" balls.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Thank you all for your info. and advice! I appreciate it and we will work on the things you mentioned. I will post another video later to see if we are improving!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi