Liv's swing 11 yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
bass3-o.gif

Dec 19, 2012
That is not how the preferred position of contact was explained to me that Bustos uses at clinics to show people how the wrists still have leverage....

What about these?

And this one is a high pitch so the swing plane is not as steep, but you can see the similarities in hand and front elbow position

Personally, I do not like the bottom hand position of the two young ladies...too much flexion and a weak position IMO. This occurs when the "knocking knuckles" are not aligned at contact, and I'm a big fan of aligned knocking knuckles at contact. I prefer a staggered grip at start ---- to alignment of knocking knuckles at contact. But hey, that's just me. As far as Cabrera is concerned.....well, it's Cabrera and he doesn't need to be in the strongest position to go yard. His grip at contact is a little more staggered than I like to see but if it works for him.....great!

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
fballchgup,

Will you try one thing for me next time she hits? Turn her back foot in more. Really in. Like at a 45 and have her take her normal swing. I want to see if she will feel the tightness in the rear hip and rear lower back. Also, tell her to take the barrel to the ball. RIGHT NOW!

Sep 17, 2009
fball, she's in a good spot right now in some important areas that are hard for young hitters to learn....she keeps the barrel vertical (up) very nicely, that's a good starting point. She loads back a bit, which is good, but right now it's more of a sway which leads to an all-back, all-forward swing. Watch her: when her lower body gets its furthest back, so do her hands. From that point, they both come forward together.

Try this next, my two cents: I like Hyp's suggestion about turning the rear foot in. This isn't permanent, it's just to get her to feel the tightness he mentions in those important areas. Also, right now she does a nice job of at least getting some weight on that back foot. Next: exaggerate getting one legged even a bit more (one thing you can try is to get her to a flamingo position and hold that for a split second) and then as she "falls forward" have her coil even more while also loading her elbow up and back. That will further tighten the links in the hip and back that Hyp discusses and will ultimately improve her separation. Then....launch the rear hip/leg and send that barrel rearward/turn that barrel between her hands RIGHT NOW as Hyp says. That will let her hips go first and pull her hands off the shelf and the barrel to the ball.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
fballchgup,

Will you try one thing for me next time she hits? Turn her back foot in more. Really in. Like at a 45 and have her take her normal swing. I want to see if she will feel the tightness in the rear hip and rear lower back. Also, tell her to take the barrel to the ball. RIGHT NOW!

AKA "The Noontime Drill"
We do it every bp now.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
fball, she's in a good spot right now in some important areas that are hard for young hitters to learn....she keeps the barrel vertical (up) very nicely, that's a good starting point. She loads back a bit, which is good, but right now it's more of a sway which leads to an all-back, all-forward swing. Watch her: when her lower body gets its furthest back, so do her hands. From that point, they both come forward together.

Try this next, my two cents: I like Hyp's suggestion about turning the rear foot in. This isn't permanent, it's just to get her to feel the tightness he mentions in those important areas. Also, right now she does a nice job of at least getting some weight on that back foot. Next: exaggerate getting one legged even a bit more (one thing you can try is to get her to a flamingo position and hold that for a split second) and then as she "falls forward" have her coil even more while also loading her elbow up and back. That will further tighten the links in the hip and back that Hyp discusses and will ultimately improve her separation. Then....launch the rear hip/leg and send that barrel rearward/turn that barrel between her hands RIGHT NOW as Hyp says. That will let her hips go first and pull her hands off the shelf and the barrel to the ball.

Like this?
2yuksjm.gif

Nov 21, 2012
New England
fballchgup,

Great tip, I will definately try that with her next time. Unfortunately, it might be a few days because she did something to her knee at basketball yesterday. Hopefully nothing serious.
Thanks again

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
That's just it, I don't follow one particular "guru" or method. I don't come from anywhere in particular. I've seen more hitting videos and read more books than I care to remember. I was fortunate enough to know, play both with and against, and be introduced to various MLB players. I never received more than a "book money" scholarship offer. I'm nobody special.

I just read this. I thought you were special

Darn it, my bad :cool:

SL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi