Liv's swing 11 yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DjbjF7z_lFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not having much luck removing bat drag from dd's swing yet, but we'll get it. Been trying to get bat a little more vertical at launch and throw barrel to the ball, but she is still laying it down and pulling it. Says she can't really feel she is doing it but can see it immediately when I show her the video. Been doing back tees, high tees, walkups and some side toss but it's a little cramped in the shop (four inches of snow the other night). Also doing some throwing and then replacing ball with bat.
Sorry for the video- it is at a bad angle again. The tee is about front hip at set up.
Thanks for the tips and knowledge and encouragement.
We will keep on the journey!

Just watching once on my phone...she sure is explosive. I don't spot a lot of bat drag by my definition of dragging the bat down the length of the barrel through the zone. If you want I can gif the video when I get home later, that should make it easier for all to see.

P.s. "4 inches if snow!?? We eat that for breakfast! I think we are at about 20 for the last week or so."

Last edited:
R

RayR

Explosive as RHC mentioned....now need to harness that explosiveness for good (turning the barrel to the ball), not evil (bat drag, bat wrapping)

swinggif_zps8d391e83.gif

The first thing for her to fix is barrel awareness...she told you she doesn't feel anything and that is a typical response....but she has to figure out that the barrel is wrapping behind her and getting too flat way too early....

Waggling the bat in her hands is a way to develop some sensors in her hands to FEEL where the barrel is....

And be sure to tell her it is tee work....there is no need to think she has to hit the ball through the wall....tone it down and work on barrel path....

This is just past contact....her bottom hand should have rolled some by now, but it is still hammering the ball like it is a nail and she has a hammer....Are you out there Lenski?

swinghammer_zps58834326.jpg

One sure way to get her to tone down the practice is taking bottom hand swings with a really light bat using tennis balls or something soft and work on the bottom hand rolling into contact like this:

Wrightbothand_zpsc8bff2a5.gif

Nov 21, 2012
New England
Thanks for the knowledge mts. We actually do some 50% swings to try to get the correct feeling but probably not enough.
This video is from some stretch and fires we were doing. "Kaaaaaaaaaa-boom!" I think I told her to hit through the blanket. Oops.
I do love her desire to hurt the ball though.

R

RayR

Quite alright - you gave that swing some context....which helps all of us out....

No need to abandon kaaaaaaaa-boom....but just make sure it doesn't lead to the barrel issues this particular swing shows....

One other thing - since I am having fun with this next cue:

Ask her to watch the clip of her hitting and one of the Cabrera...

9uvpl5.gif
swinggif_zps8d391e83.gif

And use this cue - See if her front hip can lead her front knee to footstrike....can you see how Cabrera's front knee is working behind his front hip....this forces a hitter to coil their hips as they stride....

Even in this clip as you work the bottom hand you can work on the hip/knee relationship...multitasking!!

Wrightbothand_zpsc8bff2a5.gif

Thanks for the knowledge mts. We actually do some 50% swings to try to get the correct feeling but probably not enough.
This video is from some stretch and fires we were doing. "Kaaaaaaaaaa-boom!" I think I told her to hit through the blanket. Oops.
I do love her desire to hurt the ball though.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2012
New England
Great cue.
Question: Is palm up-palm down an undesirable hand position at contact? Is it more of a palm back (bottom hand) palm front (top hand)? Or just try for a roll of the bottom hand and actual hand position is a no teach?

R

RayR

IMO - palm up/down is incomplete and many times leads to lack of extension and the front elbow winging up and out....the bottom should roll to and through contact, but the action starts upstream - not suddenly at contact....

I have used a small tennis racket to get the players to understand the feeling by backhanding tennis balls that are either front tossed or tossed from a 45 degree angle - just using the bottom hand like the clip of David Wright.....

In the set up the racket's edge should be facing the pitcher and you are just trying to work the bottom hand / wrist / forearm correctly so you can hit the tennis ball (or lite flite) with the netting of the racket....but to hit through the ball with the backhand not a quick wrist flip at contact....

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Also if she is watching her and Cabrera, have her look at the lower half load and stride. He loads into his back leg, his stride is controlled by this back leg load, if that makes sense. She is swaying back over her back leg and falling forward onto her front leg.

Also she is doing it (so more for others)..the stretch and fire...his lower half begins unloading while his top half is loading. Aka "unloading in the load" aka "separation" aka "hands stay back"

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Suggestion giving by FFS to MY DD.
2gujg53.gif

I want you to watch that clip and notice that the ladies have a tendency to move the barrel within their stance. They have a desire to 'feel the barrel' with their hands. At all times in their stance, they want to know where the head of the barrel is, and their hands are their sensor for that information. Notice barrel movement in the clip below as the ladies are in their 'stance' and transition to their 'launch' ... their hands are alive ... they feel the barrel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi