12 o'clock

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

DB1

Apr 23, 2009
Metro East StL
Go to model pitchers thread at the top and watch some of the videos. Some of the youtube videos you can pause and see exactly what is going on.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
Clock as viewed by the pitcher.

Just yesterday a college pitcher was helping my dd, she wanted dd to show the ball to 2nd base at 12 o'clock then the ground at 3. DD said that's not how I was taught and told her I (dad) was her PC. So I go out and try to explain. PC say that is not the correct way to pitch. I then ask if I could video her pitching and show her that she is not doing what she is teaching. PC then says she has many pitches and I did not know which pitch she was throwing. I replied does it matter which pitch you are throwing when the ball is a 12 o'clock? I didn't get an answer.

She looked at me like I was off my rocker. Thanks to DiscussFastpitch.com, boardmember and some others.

She was a nice young lady and I do appreciate the time she devoted.

I have encouraged my dd to be sure the ball is facing home at 12 o'clock then sky until 3 and prefer a little later like 4 before the ir begins. Is this too late?

Sep 3, 2009
Clock as viewed by the pitcher.

Just yesterday a college pitcher was helping my dd, she wanted dd to show the ball to 2nd base at 12 o'clock then the ground at 3. DD said that's not how I was taught and told her I (dad) was her PC. So I go out and try to explain. PC say that is not the correct way to pitch. I then ask if I could video her pitching and show her that she is not doing what she is teaching. PC then says she has many pitches and I did not know which pitch she was throwing. I replied does it matter which pitch you are throwing when the ball is a 12 o'clock? I didn't get an answer.

She looked at me like I was off my rocker. Thanks to DiscussFastpitch.com, boardmember and some others.

She was a nice young lady and I do appreciate the time she devoted.

I have encouraged my dd to be sure the ball is facing home at 12 o'clock then sky until 3 and prefer a little later like 4 before the ir begins. Is this too late?

I don't think so. Actually I think that the IR occurs naturally once you have broken them of the habit of "getting behind the ball". I took my daughter to a few different pitching coaches, including one who is "extremely" well regarded in central CT. They all taught ball towards third/second at 12:00 and hand behind the ball at 3:00. My daughter's pitching really took off (speed and accuracy) when I stopped taking her to lessons and started to work with her on the 12:00 and 3:00 drills as described by Boardmember early in the original internal rotation thread. We spent hours during the winter of 2009 with her throwing from one knee to me using IR and a Jugs lite-flite ball. She's not close to perfect but she's become pretty dominant in our rec league. She still doesn't use her body much and steps more than she leaps but we don't see many girls in our area who "throw" the ball nearly as well as she does.

Jun 18, 2010
Who cares? is what I ask

Bucket Parents who want the correct mechanics for their DDs (largely due to this forum) and cannot find qualified instructors who understand IR... that is who cares.

I think this is a great question. My DD has come too far to go backwards because an instructor is trying to teach the wrong mechanics. We are one-and-done (one lesson) with one last week because they were instructing counter to what those knowledgeable in the pitchers forum have articulated.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
We all should care. There are way too many PC's teaching the wrong mechanics. It probably would be fine if they all taught to do it naturally, but that's not the case.

Sep 3, 2009
We all should care. There are way too many PC's teaching the wrong mechanics. It probably would be fine if they all taught to do it naturally, but that's not the case.

Agreed. I spent hundreds of dollars on lessons (they ALL get at least $75 an hour around here) for nothing. Fact is my daughter started to show tremendous improvement after we stopped doing what the PCs were saying to do (wrist snaps, getting behind the ball early, etc). I still see girls starting their warmups doing wrist snaps and I just cringe and bite my tongue every time. Maybe I should do what Bill Hillhouse said he does and ask the girls outright why they are doing them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles