Ball/Hand orientation at 3 o'clock

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I agreed with Slugger that FSR should give her speed a boost but I didn’t expect this much so soon. Her working game speed is between 54- 55 with a max of 57MPH .We worked a little on the FSR drills and this weekend she reached a new max. Now to get that change up better. the goal was 60 by HS. Thanks Slugger.
Her smile says it all. To give credit where due, @Rick Pauly is the FSR guy.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
its been 8 months since I posted the video of Kayden and the recommendation to work on her FSR. Here’s an update on her progress.

Sorry about hijacking this thread and changing the focus.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Does body type have anything to do with the ball/hand orientation?

1690122938721.png

Aug 21, 2008
I have looked at a lot of videos and seems this is different for a lot of pitchers. Seems like most are either ball towards 1st in a handshake position, or ball facing down with knuckles towards catcher. If you were teaching a young pitcher what would be considered the most optimal position for the ball/hand to be in at 3 O'clock, and why. Is this different if she pitches out of her glove vs swinging back.
I had written a longer reply to this but then I thought it may have seemed too snarky, smart rear like.

So, I'll try to answer this with a question if that's ok. Why on Earth are you worried about the hand position at 3 o'clock? What made you look at that particular "time" for the hand position?

May 13, 2021
I had written a longer reply to this but then I thought it may have seemed too snarky, smart rear like.

So, I'll try to answer this with a question if that's ok. Why on Earth are you worried about the hand position at 3 o'clock? What made you look at that particular "time" for the hand position?
It seemed there was a preferred position for the hand at most other positions. So it just made sense that there would be a correct position for 3 o’clock also. If there was a correct position I wanted to make sure that was what we were practicing.

Aug 21, 2008
It seemed there was a preferred position for the hand at most other positions. So it just made sense that there would be a correct position for 3 o’clock also. If there was a correct position I wanted to make sure that was what we were practicing.
I don't know how everyone else answered this question, and believe me I'm not saying this with a snarky tone. I know it can be easy to sometimes read a "tone" that wasn't intended into words or texts. But, I can tell you, as a pitcher, whenever I was struggling, when the ball wasn't moving, when I felt like I had poor rotation on the ball, etc. etc. etc. I can honestly tell you I never considered where my hand is at the 3 o'clock position. I'd like to think my arm and hand are going wayyyyy too fast to identify what position it's at.

Try it for yourself lostcreek, go outside and throw into a net. You'll see what I mean.

Apr 17, 2019
The only time I talk about position at 3 is if their arm is tracking way off the powerline early. Then I tell them to throw their knuckles to their target, or rifle site their middle knuckle with their throwing side eye if they're really not getting it, which typically makes it palm down at 3.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
For my beginners I have them face the palm down because I think it's easier to bend/flex the elbow earlier in the circle. Try it yourself, hold the ball out in front of you at 3 o'clock, and rotate it from palm up to palm down. But once they get some experience I rarely focus on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802