Ball/Hand orientation at 3 o'clock

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
I have looked at a lot of videos and seems this is different for a lot of pitchers. Seems like most are either ball towards 1st in a handshake position, or ball facing down with knuckles towards catcher. If you were teaching a young pitcher what would be considered the most optimal position for the ball/hand to be in at 3 O'clock, and why. Is this different if she pitches out of her glove vs swinging back.

May 16, 2016
I would put this in the personal preference category. Whatever they are most comfortable doing, as long as they are consistent, so they do not tip pitches, I don't think it matters much, and I would spend lesson time on other matters.

Jan 6, 2018
I’m probably only going to look at this if they have less than ideal arm bend at 11 followed by the ball orientation at 9. If the arm whip is ideal there’s no reason to look for a problem “upstream.” I say “probably” because if she can’t find the strike zone I might start hunting for any arm circle inefficiency I can find.

May 13, 2021
I’m probably only going to look at this if they have less than ideal arm bend at 11 followed by the ball orientation at 9. If the arm whip is ideal there’s no reason to look for a problem “upstream.” I say “probably” because if she can’t find the strike zone I might start hunting for any arm circle inefficiency I can find.
The question would be which way would more easily put you in the ideal position at 11 and 9. Would one way or the other be better from an arm health perspective.

Jan 6, 2018
The question would be which way would more easily put you in the ideal position at 11 and 9. Would one way or the other be better from an arm health perspective.
I'm no doctor, so I can't answer that. I also haven't heard anything in my "education" so far when it comes to either one being the healthier option. I teach knuckles up because it's logically a more efficient movement from 3-11-9 to me. Some kids are just more comfortable coming out of the glove or backswing with the ball facing forward. When that happens they will get to handshake around 3, and then they are behind by 11 and under by 9. One could argue that being efficient I suppose because when they pass the hip the first time the ball will face release and then back to the same place at release. I'm guessing it doesn't matter as long as they get under by 9, but I'd love to hear what other coaches think.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If you were teaching a young pitcher what would be considered the most optimal position for the ball/hand to be in at 3 O'clock, and why. Is this different if she pitches out of her glove vs swinging back.

It doesn't matter...whatever it takes to get her into the correct position at 12. The focus should be on proper position at 12. Don't waste time micromanaging the arm position around the circle. Focus on 12, 9 and 6.

Attachments

• osterman12.JPG
    osterman12.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 24

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here is Kayden at 12. 9. And. 6…. Just trying to give a visual of a kid in progress.
She looks very good. How old is she?

1. Does she always walk forward after a pitch? If she does, then she needs work on FSR (Front-side resistance) immediately. She should be taking no steps after release. If she is walking forward after every pitch, she will see a huge leap in speed when she perfects FSR.

2. Her ball position at 9 is excellent. (Ball should be on top of hand at 9.) I wouldn't touch anything with that...

3. Her IR (internal rotation) of the forearm is "late". She forces the turn over of the forearm after release. I doubt she needs coaching on this...she's trying to do it, so throwing a lot of pitches will probably fix the timing.

4. How are her change-up and breaking pitches?

Here is the "Queen of Front Side Resistance," Whitney Canion. She was an All-American and the best D1 pitcher in 2013. She doesn't come forward at all after release.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
She looks very good. How old is she?

1. Does she always walk forward after a pitch? If she does, then she needs work on FSR (Front-side resistance) immediately. She should be taking no steps after release. If she is walking forward after every pitch, she will see a huge leap in speed when she perfects FSR.

2. Her ball position at 9 is excellent. (Ball should be on top of hand at 9.) I wouldn't touch anything with that...

3. Her IR (internal rotation) of the forearm is "late". She forces the turn over of the forearm after release. I doubt she needs coaching on this...she's trying to do it, so throwing a lot of pitches will probably fix the timing.

4. How are her change-up and breaking pitches?

Here is the "Queen of Front Side Resistance," Whitney Canion. She was an All-American and the best D1 pitcher in 2013. She doesn't come forward at all after release.

Thank you , that’s very kind of you. She’s 12.
1. We were working on adding some momentum in to her start. So, a little more energy going forward. I’d like her to open the foot a little more and get more hamstring activation and less knee pressure when they lockout to early. Her front foot position.

2. TY
3. yes, we are working on the transition to the drop ball , so not a clean fastball.
4. change up is good but inconsistent. Relied on the FB too much.
This is how we’re building in to FSR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12