Ball/Hand orientation at 3 o'clock

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I’m not concerned about max speed ( ego in check) at this point. She’s been effective with her speed. I think with better lower half sequence she’ll get more speed later. Thank you and love you helpful comments.

648A58B1-0796-44C1-8F1D-8BCE6F48258D.jpeg

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
3. yes, we are working on the transition to the drop ball , so not a clean fastball.
This is how we’re building in to FSR.

Uhh...I'm not sure how that is supposed to improve FSR.

For FSR, the left leg (for a rightie) stops the forward movement of the body at release. The best drill for FSR is a three-step walk through. Tell to keep her right foot off the ground after release. She'll won't be able to do it until she gets the FSR right.

Is she your DD?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Uhh...I'm not sure how that is supposed to improve FSR.

For FSR, the left leg (for a rightie) stops the forward movement of the body at release. The best drill for FSR is to due a three walk through. Tell to keep her right foot off the ground after release. She'll won't be able to do it until she gets the FSR right.

Is she your DD?
Thanks, we will work on that. She's my GD.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
She looks very good. How old is she?

1. Does she always walk forward after a pitch? If she does, then she needs work on FSR (Front-side resistance) immediately. She should be taking no steps after release. If she is walking forward after every pitch, she will see a huge leap in speed when she perfects FSR.

2. Her ball position at 9 is excellent. (Ball should be on top of hand at 9.) I wouldn't touch anything with that...

3. Her IR (internal rotation) of the forearm is "late". She forces the turn over of the forearm after release. I doubt she needs coaching on this...she's trying to do it, so throwing a lot of pitches will probably fix the timing.

4. How are her change-up and breaking pitches?

Here is the "Queen of Front Side Resistance," Whitney Canion. She was an All-American and the best D1 pitcher in 2013. She doesn't come forward at all after release.

Yeah I wouldn’t teach the style you posted. To open.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It doesn't matter...whatever it takes to get her into the correct position at 12. The focus should be on proper position at 12. Don't waste time micromanaging the arm position around the circle. Focus on 12, 9 and 6.

I agree with this, but also, I think it's possible that some pitchers might get to the correct position at 12 easier with certain positions at 3. I just base this on how it feels for me when I'm throwing front toss. I'm knuckles toward catcher, and any other way doesn't feel right.

Think it's a lot like batting stance. No one specific right way to do it, but certain stances work better for certain people.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Took Kayden to her hitting lesson and we had a few minutes to work on her FSR. I’ll admit to me we had other priorities but I now see that now is a good time. Thanks Slugger, great advice and drill. More work to be done.
Good work. I never thought about using a baseball pitching mound...but that is a good idea.

What I really like about this drill is that SHE doesn't need someone telling her if she did it right or wrong. She can feel it herself, which also teaches body awareness. Like in the last rep, she didn't need you to tell her she messed up.

This is an excellent video. It shows the progression of working through the drill for FSR. Can I use it?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
She looks very good. How old is she?

1. Does she always walk forward after a pitch? If she does, then she needs work on FSR (Front-side resistance) immediately. She should be taking no steps after release. If she is walking forward after every pitch, she will see a huge leap in speed when she perfects FSR.

2. Her ball position at 9 is excellent. (Ball should be on top of hand at 9.) I wouldn't touch anything with that...

3. Her IR (internal rotation) of the forearm is "late". She forces the turn over of the forearm after release. I doubt she needs coaching on this...she's trying to do it, so throwing a lot of pitches will probably fix the timing.

4. How are her change-up and breaking pitches?

Here is the "Queen of Front Side Resistance," Whitney Canion. She was an All-American and the best D1 pitcher in 2013. She doesn't come forward at all after release.

I agreed with Slugger that FSR should give her speed a boost but I didn’t expect this much so soon. Her working game speed is between 54- 55 with a max of 57MPH .We worked a little on the FSR drills and this weekend she reached a new max. Now to get that change up better. the goal was 60 by HS. Thanks Slugger.

Attachments

• 512AD2D9-2FAB-45D3-B882-1EE8D04F9AC3.jpeg
    512AD2D9-2FAB-45D3-B882-1EE8D04F9AC3.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 50

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28