11yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
In the game clip she isn't striding. In tne practice swing she has a stride, You want to do what you practice,same swing. I would stick to the no stride, game swing. The timing will get better when your game swing is worked on.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In the game clip she isn't striding. In tne practice swing she has a stride, You want to do what you practice,same swing. I would stick to the no stride, game swing. The timing will get better when your game swing is worked on.

Instead of taking the stride out of her practice swing, I want to see her using a stride in her game swing. Her swing has much better rhythm and flow (among other things) when she strides...and relaxes a little.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
tumblr_nwbn712TR11usf292o1_400.gif

The stride in the game clip looks very similar to the stride in this older gif. More of a "pick up and put down" than an actual stride. In fact, her heel seems to land behind its take off point. Essentially, the front leg lifts, moves the front foot forward a bit, and then returns to its starting point at a different angle.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The stride in the game clip looks very similar to the stride in this older gif. More of a "pick up and put down" than an actual stride. In fact, her heel seems to land behind its take off point. Essentially, the front leg lifts, moves the front foot forward a bit, and then returns to its starting point at a different angle.

Yes. That's been common in her swing. I think she's at her best when she has a little bit of a stride, more than just a pick-up and put-down.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Instead of taking the stride out of her practice swing, I want to see her using a stride in her game swing. Her swing has much better rhythm and flow (among other things) when she strides...and relaxes a little.

You could try butting the bat handle against the side of her rear foot. extend bat towards pitcher. Mark the end of her bat on the floor. Have her set up normal and have her practicing striding the length of her bat plus or minus an inch.
Have her land soft of the front edge of her front foot with a flexed knee.
Just the cue land soft, usually has them flexed knee'd with no more instruction.

Power and good weight shift should be some positive things as a result of doing this.

Straightleg

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I think it's all about timing the pitcher. She looks to have the same issue mine does after revamping her swing. The BP swing looks great but against live pitching that great motion starts WAY too late and all heck breaks loose after that. They need to learn to start that negative move while the ball is still in the pitcher's hand...(at least in my DD's case)

My DD was hitting rockets off of front toss with the same equivalent speed as the live pitcher. Against the live pitcher she's fouling balls off toward the 1st base dugout. Just having trouble timing that motion.

And, by the way, a triple is a triple. Nice hit!!

I was going to suggest similar: slow and early.

what does she look like on a take? (in a game situation)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You could try butting the bat handle against the side of her rear foot. extend bat towards pitcher. Mark the end of her bat on the floor. Have her set up normal and have her practicing striding the length of her bat plus or minus an inch.
Have her land soft of the front edge of her front foot with a flexed knee.
Just the cue land soft, usually has them flexed knee'd with no more instruction.

Power and good weight shift should be some positive things as a result of doing this.

Straightleg

Hmmm...I'm not so sure about mandating how much stride she takes. I like what she was doing in the cage last week, and that's the direction I'd like her to go with her game swing at the moment.

Apr 13, 2015
What I'm learning is that the stride can be an individualized thing, within reason. Foot down width of feet should be a little more than half of height but how u get there is a preference. Again within reason. Small stride, large stride, leg kick, no stride. Shouldn't matter. But if that slow and early load doesn't happen early enough the rest of the sequence is off. I think that's how the mis-teach of 'foot down early' started. But I would take foot down early at this point. At least she would have a chance. Lol.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What I'm learning is that the stride can be an individualized thing, within reason. Foot down width of feet should be a little more than half of height but how u get there is a preference. Again within reason. Small stride, large stride, leg kick, no stride. Shouldn't matter. But if that slow and early load doesn't happen early enough the rest of the sequence is off. I think that's how the mis-teach of 'foot down early' started. But I would take foot down early at this point. At least she would have a chance. Lol.

I tend to agree. There are lots of different approaches that work.

As for my DD, being late is not generally an issue. She's typically a pull-side hitter. Too much so, actually. In her recent cage swings, you can see how her not-ideal hand path results in getting around an outside pitch.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

I believe that is true.

In the game swing she is out of sequence. She failed to time the pitcher. She is instead simply timing the ball, and as a result she is rushed out of her sequence.

Congrats on the triple.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283