11yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
Eric, one of the best swings I've seen on here for this age group (and older). I see a very similar thing with your DD's swing that I see with mine. It's the part where she's pulling back, that back elbow. I think my DD is a little more scap pinch while yours is just reaching for the sky. That leads to more of the arm bar, not that it's a full on arm bar like FFS said. I think it's just a desire to hit the ball hard, much like pulling back to hit someone hard. When I watch the pros swing, I just don't see that same amount of "raring back" while they maintain more a square.

This is one of my favorite gifs to show my DD. Compare that back elbow and then look at how he maintains the "square".
mannybp_zps827d13af.jpg

That's all I've got. Honest question for you though. She obviously has a very "baseball" (correct IMO) swing. Do you ever get any push back from her coaches? I just so rarely see a swing like that from softball players.

(Edit, my gif attachment just shows up as a jpg. I have no idea how to make the gif actually animate?)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Technically what is seen here is not arm bar.

Instead of arm bar, I would classify it closer to casting. I don't think her front arm action is too much different than Trout's. What I do see is a greater angle at the rear elbow, as she begins the extension process a little early. Extending a little away from her body instead of towards the ball. JMHO.

I still think she has a heck of a swing for her age. A lot of good things going on.

ohlglt.jpg

Edited to add:
I can't seem to find that FFS gif of Pujols with the lines showing the rear elbow angle, but that would be a good one to insert here.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Instead of arm bar, I would classify it closer to casting. I don't think her front arm action is too much different than Trout's. What I do see is a greater angle at the rear elbow, as she begins the extension process a little early. Extending a little away from her body instead of towards the ball. JMHO.

I still think she has a heck of a swing for her age. A lot of good things going on.

ohlglt.jpg

Edited to add:
I can't seem to find that FFS gif of Pujols with the lines showing the rear elbow angle, but that would be a good one to insert here.

Would this swing be considered DBSF?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Looking for clarity.

I understand. You can see leveling issues in the pre launch motion. I know it was difficult for you to see it in my DDs swing on the high pitch but easy for you to pick up on the low pitch. I think you would be able to identify leveling issues better if you focused on the position of the barrel AT launch, how the bat got there (dropped) and the ensuing swing plane (flat). So the confusion the Pujols clip caused you for instance, becomes an easy read of NOT being a leveling issue since the leveling takes place after launch. same thing in the above clip. He tilts his bat a little downward but does not actually level prior to launch. so use launch as the green light for leveling and you will be able to see when a kid is leveling then swinging (or DBSF).

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I understand. You can see leveling issues in the pre launch motion. I know it was difficult for you to see it in my DDs swing on the high pitch but easy for you to pick up on the low pitch. I think you would be able to identify leveling issues better if you focused on the position of the barrel AT launch, how the bat got there (dropped) and the ensuing swing plane (flat). So the confusion the Pujols clip caused you for instance, becomes an easy read of NOT being a leveling issue since the leveling takes place after launch. same thing in the above clip. He tilts his bat a little downward but does not actually level prior to launch. so use launch as the green light for leveling and you will be able to see when a kid is leveling then swinging (or DBSF).

Let me be clear ... Trout's swing here does not have a leveling issue.

You presented three swings that did not exhibit a leveling issue, but considered it to be DBSF. Hence the question, does this swing here, which does not have a leveling issue, represent what is considered DBSF?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Didn't you just answer your own question? He does not have a leveling issue, clearly, therefore no DBSF. You cannot level correctly and be a DBSFer. As for the clips of my daughter, even in the high pitches I could clearly see the leveling issue. The clips were taken a week apart, it's not like she was swinging differently in the two games. It is just harder to pick up on high pitches so it takes a pretty keen eye to see it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00