11yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Oh..in one of those three clips there was no leveling issue, that front toss clip. The two game swings had a leveling problem though.

Let me be more clear.

You provided a recent video. The video was titled "She's small move up". The concern was that there was a DBSF issue. In this video there were three occurrences in which a leveling issue could possibly be observed. There was a 'take' on a low/away pitch ... no leveling issue there ... the functionality of the rear arm, from a support perspective was quite good in fact. There was a dry swing ... no leveling issue there. There was a swing at a pitch ... no leveling issue there either. Were any of those three occurrences what you would call DBSF?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, one of the best swings I've seen on here for this age group (and older). I see a very similar thing with your DD's swing that I see with mine. It's the part where she's pulling back, that back elbow. I think my DD is a little more scap pinch while yours is just reaching for the sky. That leads to more of the arm bar, not that it's a full on arm bar like FFS said. I think it's just a desire to hit the ball hard, much like pulling back to hit someone hard. When I watch the pros swing, I just don't see that same amount of "raring back" while they maintain more a square.

This is one of my favorite gifs to show my DD. Compare that back elbow and then look at how he maintains the "square".
View attachment 9059

That's all I've got. Honest question for you though. She obviously has a very "baseball" (correct IMO) swing. Do you ever get any push back from her coaches? I just so rarely see a swing like that from softball players.

(Edit, my gif attachment just shows up as a jpg. I have no idea how to make the gif actually animate?)

Thanks for the kind words about her swing. I think she is on a good path.

As for the back elbow, its position has varied quite a bit over time, and the current high chicken wing move is recent. Yet, the early lead arm extension had remained constant.

The "raring back" isn't nearly as prominent with swings on a moving ball.

In answer to your question, I've never heard her swing called a "baseball swing" by any of her coaches. However, that might have been affected by the coaches I have selected for her. ;)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Nothing new here, but the lighting is significantly better...

Slo-mo of the same swing...
Maddie%20101615slow%20_zps8alrjbl3.gif

The tee was probably a bit too far out front. I would have liked to see a bigger stride and more exaggerated weight transfer.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_nwhnuvIVqU1usf292o1_400.gif

I would like to see your DD get to this position below:

BrookeMissingFrames.gif

Seems like your DD's bat/barrel follows the rotation of the shoulders around. I would look at the action of the rear arm.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
tumblr_nwhnuvIVqU1usf292o1_400.gif

I would like to see your DD get to this position below:

BrookeMissingFrames.gif

Seems like your DD's bat/barrel follows the rotation of the shoulders around. I would be looking at the action of the rear arm also I think I'm in the practical thread so, I will keep it practical.

I would like to see her get into that position, too! :)

A practical thread posted in the impractical section...;)

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
One thing that gets my attention is that her top hand is getting behind her back elbow. Tough to do what the other hitter is doing when it gets in such a weak position. Not quite the same thing as the front arm just pushing back but the hand staying put. Not sure if that's been mentioned.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
One thing that gets my attention is that her top hand is getting behind her back elbow. Tough to do what the other hitter is doing when it gets in such a weak position. Not quite the same thing as the front arm just pushing back but the hand staying put. Not sure if that's been mentioned.

Hmm...I see her rear elbow ahead of the hands from the perspective of the camera, but not when compared with the line of the shoulders. Maybe you're seeing something I'm not.

Here's a swing from tonight with a different perspective...
[video=youtube_share;PTZchVcwDEQ]http://youtu.be/PTZchVcwDEQ[/video]

I'm not seeing it here, either.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
In the slow motion gif from the side it looks like she starts her TTB move by pulling the knob back with her top hand getting into a less powerful attack position.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad