11 y/o swings, side view.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Haha. Before even starting writing I was thinking he would be writing right behind me with an agenda.

Research for yourself Cdawg, look for a great hitter that has "their foot flared out." Or their leg
Pujols_fbc_ccp_snf.gif

Pujols? A good one to look at with the weight shift I was talking about.
Mendoza_01.gif

AMC4_zpsbc7b5cb9.gif

Good luck with whatever you do.

Last edited:
R

RayR

All I advised was to start from a balanced position and leave the foot alone. Why introduce more background noise into the swing at this point?

You think she is balanced? Do you think her first moves are balanced?

How did you teach your kid to ride a bike? Did you instruct her to death - or give her a push and hope she figured it out how to balance herself before she fell?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Haha. Before even starting writing I was thinking he would be writing right behind me with an agenda.

Research for yourself Cdawg, look for a great hitter that has "their foot flared out." Or their leg
Pujols_fbc_ccp_snf.gif

Pujols? A good one to look at with the weight shift I was talking about.
Mendoza_01.gif

AMC4_zpsbc7b5cb9.gif

Good luck with whatever you do.

My suggestion is to look closely at this video and that our your DD. Pay close attention to the position of the back knee in relationship to the back foot. Personally I prefer to keep the back knee "inside" the back foot. I believe adjusting the angle of the foot (as suggested by RHC) will help accomplish this. Just my thoughts...

Overall, very athletic girl. Looks like she has a lot of potential. Have fun!!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Shoot, I wish all 11YO girls hit this well. I bet she is even better, out on the softball field seeing various pitches. I see her adjusting to the pitch. I would like to see some other swings and maybe off of a tee. But, for 11 - the world is her oyster.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Are we talking about the front foot flared out. We teach 45 degrees. Why , because test it and see how it effects the strength of the back leg. Put pressure on the back leg above the knee then try engaging the back leg at toe touch . Step out and in and different degrees and see how it effects the back leg.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Are we talking about the front foot flared out. We teach 45 degrees. Why , because test it and see how it effects the strength of the back leg. Put pressure on the back leg above the knee then try engaging the back leg at toe touch . Step out and in and different degrees and see how it effects the back leg.

No. The back foot and leg. I am against it flaired out.

Aug 8, 2010
Ok, lots to work on, but about the hands dropping. I have noticed on a few hitters in the GIFs that the hands will rise slightly to start the swing. Since her hands want to do something, would starting the hands lower like McCutcheon and building a slight rise as a trigger be helpful?

Aug 28, 2013
Ok, lots to work on, but about the hands dropping. I have noticed on a few hitters in the GIFs that the hands will rise slightly to start the swing. Since her hands want to do something, would starting the hands lower like McCutcheon and building a slight rise as a trigger be helpful?

Casedawg, IMO I don't think where the hands start matter all that much, in time your DD will most likely adjust them to what feels most comfortable to her. With a proper scap load they will rise and get into the correct position for launch.

Edit: maybe scap loading is a bit confusing, try thinking pinching it or holding it against your spine. You should have the effect of elbowing someone behind you, that kind of clicked for my DD.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
In softball higher is better. Perhaps in the younger ages you can get by with it because you don't face a good riseball pitcher yet. This is another difference between baseball and softball players.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877