11 y/o swings, side view.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 28, 2013
In softball higher is better. Perhaps in the younger ages you can get by with it because you don't face a good riseball pitcher yet. This is another difference between baseball and softball players.

Would you say that McCutchen's hands get in a high enough position to be able to hit a rise ball?

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Casedawg, IMO I don't think where the hands start matter all that much, in time your DD will most likely adjust them to what feels most comfortable to her. With a proper scap load they will rise and get into the correct position for launch.

Edit: maybe scap loading is a bit confusing, try thinking pinching it or holding it against your spine. You should have the effect of elbowing someone behind you, that kind of clicked for my DD.
Would you mind posting a video of your DD swing? I'm sure you've seen my son's swing... LOL

Aug 28, 2013
Would you mind posting a video of your DD swing? I'm sure you've seen my son's swing... LOL

I'll have to politely decline, sorry. Out of personal preference I'd prefer to not have her plastered all over the world wide web - plus I prefer to live in blissful ignorance about it's beauty :). I'll be more than happy to PM you though and give you her TB or HS schedule, you're free to see it in person if you're ever in the MW (MOARKAHOMA, some COLO).

Why would you think I've seen you're son's swing, I have no idea who you even are? Is it because you think I'm in someway associated with HI, if so you're greatly mistaken? I'm what is referred to as a "lurker" over there I guess :)

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Ok, lots to work on, but about the hands dropping. I have noticed on a few hitters in the GIFs that the hands will rise slightly to start the swing. Since her hands want to do something, would starting the hands lower like McCutcheon and building a slight rise as a trigger be helpful?
Here's a real easy one. Make sure your DD is pointing the knob end at the catchers feet just prior to GO.

I had a thought and then googled if there was such a thing. This is what came back. It may be worth at least understanding the actions, even if this is not for you:

http://www.launchlaser.com/

Cdawg1_zps96152729.gif

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I'll have to politely decline, sorry. Out of personal preference I'd prefer to not have her plastered all over the world wide web - plus I prefer to live in blissful ignorance about it's beauty :). I'll be more than happy to PM you though and give you her TB or HS schedule, you're free to see it in person if you're ever in the MW (MOARKAHOMA, some COLO).

Why would you think I've seen you're son's swing, I have no idea who you even are? Is it because you think I'm in someway associated with HI, if so you're greatly mistaken? I'm what is referred to as a "lurker" over there I guess :)
Ahhh, must be coincidence that you show up whenever the dust ups start. So scap pinch and hold, rather than getting that bottom hand right, before GO, huh? Kinda jumping the gun, no?

Aug 28, 2013
Ahhh, must be coincidence that you show up whenever the dust ups start. So scap pinch and hold, rather than getting that bottom hand right, before GO, huh? Kinda jumping the gun, no?

You're presuming things about a swing which you've never seen and assuming things about someone you've never met. Not coincidence, I'd call it more boredom than anything.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
You're presuming things about a swing which you've never seen and assuming things about someone you've never met. Not coincidence, I'd call it more boredom than anything.

The OP's DD swing is right here. So I've seen it.
Cdawg1_zps96152729.gif

In regards to your "shyness", "boredom" and/or former "lurker" status,,,, well.... You are outstanding right out of the box. And I'm honored that my presence has brought you out of your shell.

Aug 28, 2013
The OP's DD swing is right here. So I've seen it.
Cdawg1_zps96152729.gif

In regards to your "shyness" and former "lurker" status,,,, well.... You are outstanding right out of the box. And I'm honored that my presence has brought you out of your shell.

Funny, pretty sure you were referring to what you presume my DD's swing is and not the OP's. Shy?! That's quite funny, I've been called many things in life but that's not one of them. At least you have the satisfaction of thinking you helped me with something.

It's amazing how ate up you are with a certain website - seems anyone who follows any theories proposed there are enemies of yours. Have you ever considered therapy :) ?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1