11 y/o swings, side view.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Cdawg1_zps96152729.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I would start with working on getting a rear side driven swing. Turn in the rear leg a bit so that it isn't turn around back toward the catcher. Turn into the rear leg slightly like turning her zipper into her right leg front pocket. Tweak with it and talk to her about how it feels. She should have pressure on the inside of her thigh, some from her leg up through her right butt cheek, and her right foot should feel like it wants to turn back against the ground. Noon said yesterday a good feel it thought "the feeling in her weighted right leg like she is going to jump just slightly and do an aggressive 360 spin.
With that rear leg pressure firing the swing, just practice on that firing her weight through the ball. Not getting her weight onto her front foot early. Well I don't like talking a ton while my dd is hitting, still after several early weight shifts, I just say "your early, drive the ball to right field." Or "swing late."

Summary of my opinion is develope that "engine" first, then look at other details, because they will have changed. Then next step would be turning the barrel developing resistance on top getting what others would call "hips before hands."
Late edit: Re reading I don't like how I make it sound like an epic journey, you could work on both the rear side drive and turning the barrel at the same time.

Last edited:
May 29, 2013
Hands too high, bat barrel leaned too far back behind her at set up. The hands preferably would be in the area where your heart would be with the bat handle near perpendicular to the lead forearm. The barrel preferably would be anywhere from verticle to 45 degrees.

I like her lower half but the reverse lean should be trimmed off. The hesitation step could be called a timing event but eventually it will hinder her.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
slowed down
Cdawg2_zps73d7656d.gif

With the rear side drive...if she had her leg turned in and had that coiling pressure in her hip and thigh....THEN swung from the position she is in when her front toe touches....dropping that lowering shifting thing.....

R

RayR

There are balance issues during the set up that leading to the all back and forward move. The hands starting lower and more forward with more vertical bat will improve up front balance. Work on sequence from there.

Lower half looks good - I wouldn't screw with it for now. Keep the back foot flared out like it is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi