Wild pitch vs passed ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
Yep, any pitch in the dirt is a WP. Drops that go in the dirt, even intentionally, are scored as a WP.

Nov 3, 2012
My DD is a pitcher, and in my opinion they are all passed balls. Maybe the riseball 3 feet over the catchers head might be a wild pitch :).

Dec 2, 2014
You nailed it CoogansBluff! This is a scorekeeping question. Of course, my dd wants to block every pitch as I'm sure the pitcher would have liked those pitches to have a little extra oommph (they aren't meant to be in the dirt). I wanted to know the correct way to score. In my "rose colored glasses world", they would share the "blame" (really dislike that word). I really was looking for clarification on two schools of thought. 1) ball in dirt=passed ball (cut & dried) Vs 2)normal/ordinary effort (judgement call).

Anyone know the rule for high school?

Oct 5, 2011
Sterling IL
Have a DD that caught and have a DD that pitches. The scoring rule is left somewhat open to interpretation. The way we score it is any ball that is in the dirt is a WP. However any ball that gets between the wickets is a passed ball. We do expect the catcher to protect between the legs.

Nov 18, 2013
You nailed it CoogansBluff! This is a scorekeeping question. Of course, my dd wants to block every pitch as I'm sure the pitcher would have liked those pitches to have a little extra oommph (they aren't meant to be in the dirt). I wanted to know the correct way to score. In my "rose colored glasses world", they would share the "blame" (really dislike that word). I really was looking for clarification on two schools of thought. 1) ball in dirt=passed ball (cut & dried) Vs 2)normal/ordinary effort (judgement call).

Anyone know the rule for high school?

Interesting. NFHS stipulates only balls that hit the ground in front of the plate are automatically "wild". I always thought any ball in the dirt was wild whether ahead or behind the plate.

ART. 1 . . . A wild pitch (F.P.) shall be charged to the pitcher when a ball legally delivered to the
batter is so high, or so low (including any pitch which touches the ground in front of home base),
or so far away from home base that the catcher does not stop or control it with ordinary effort and
the batter-runner advances to first base or any runner advances a base.

NCAA scoring any pitch in the dirt is wild.

SECTION 28—WILD PITCH
A wild pitch is charged to a pitcher when the pitch is
so high, wide or low that the catcher cannot handle the
ball with ordinary effort and at least one runner advances.
Any pitch in the dirt is wild. Only one wild pitch is recorded
regardless of the number of runners who advance or the
number of bases advanced. A third strike not handled by
the catcher because it was wild, when the batter reaches
first base safely, is scored as both a wild pitch and a strikeout.
No wild pitch is charged if a runner stealing on the
pitch advances only one base. A wild pitch is not an error.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2012
Copied from the NCAA Softball Rules and Interpretations Book that can be downloaded here Untitled Page
14.28 Wild Pitch
A wild pitch is charged to a pitcher when the pitch is so high, wide or low that the catcher cannot handle the ball with ordinary effort and at least one base runner advances� Any pitch in the dirt is wild� Only one wild pitch is recorded regardless of the number of base runners who advance or the number of bases advanced� A third strike not handled by the catcher because it was wild, when the batter reaches first base safely, is scored as both a wild pitch and a strikeout� No wild pitch is charged if a base runner stealing on the pitch advances only one base� A wild pitch is not an error�

Aug 6, 2013
Which means you are wrong about 50 percent of the time. :) Technically speaking.

If the scorebook is for the benefit of a particular team and only that team, then scorekeepers should keep score in whatever way they feel helps their team, to help the person for which you're keeping the book. If the infield lets a ball drop because nobody calls it and the coach wants to call that E-6, that's fine. Makes sense. Even though it's against the rules of scorekeeping.

The trouble in that lies in comparing your team's stats to somebody else's. If asked a pitcher's ERA, you could say, ''It's 1.37, but keep in mind that we don't follow the official rules of scoring.''

That is a problem for sure because I was taught to scorekeep on Gamechanger by one of our coaches who keeps score 50% of the time as well. He has no pitcher or catcher daughter so has no dog in the hunt - he scores WAAAY more passed balls than I do and I have a pitcher dd. So.....In my defense I am wrong because I was taught wrong :p, lol.

Dec 19, 2012
Interesting. NFHS stipulates only balls that hit the ground in front of the plate are automatically "wild". I always thought any ball in the dirt was wild whether ahead or behind the plate.

ART. 1 . . . A wild pitch (F.P.) shall be charged to the pitcher when a ball legally delivered to the
batter is so high, or so low (including any pitch which touches the ground in front of home base),
or so far away from home base that the catcher does not stop or control it with ordinary effort and
the batter-runner advances to first base or any runner advances a base.

NCAA scoring any pitch in the dirt is wild.

SECTION 28—WILD PITCH
A wild pitch is charged to a pitcher when the pitch is
so high, wide or low that the catcher cannot handle the
ball with ordinary effort and at least one runner advances.
Any pitch in the dirt is wild. Only one wild pitch is recorded
regardless of the number of runners who advance or the
number of bases advanced. A third strike not handled by
the catcher because it was wild, when the batter reaches
first base safely, is scored as both a wild pitch and a strikeout.
No wild pitch is charged if a runner stealing on the
pitch advances only one base. A wild pitch is not an error.

Funny NFHS doesn't mention the dirt behind home base, where FP Sponge states the ball is hitting.

Concerning NCAA, so if the ball hit the dirt between the catchers feet it is considered a wild pitch?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
Funny NFHS doesn't mention the dirt behind home base, where FP Sponge states the ball is hitting.

Concerning NCAA, so if the ball hit the dirt between the catchers feet it is considered a wild pitch?

Yup. They tried turning DD into a drop ball pitcher this year so she had plenty of those.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma