Wild pitch vs passed ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I look at scorekeeping like a financial statement. There are rules for how you account for things and it gives some information.

While it give you an overall impression of how you did, you need to add in other metrics to really drill down into how you are doing.

If I have 2 catchers and 1 has 10 PB and the other has 5 in the same number of innings can I assume the one with 5 is better?

The one with 10 might have blocked 100 would be WP with runners on 3rd while the other has me so afraid to call change ups. Scoring
doesn't really account for that. Do I want a SS with less errors who has no range verses one that will occasionally throw a ball away trying to
make a great play? Again if I just look at errors it's easy.

A P with a lot of wild pitches could mean she is terrible or it could mean she has crazy movement.

I really think that GC and Iscore will evolve from just a scorebook to really statistics. How hard would it be to add a Catcher block to a pitch. You see it in the major league
stats where they measure range of infielders. How about measuring scoops by 1B to really measure how good they are. You could give off the book errors on OF for misplays,etc. In the old days it would have been too time consuming to calculate, but we have it now.

Stats are a tool. They take some deciphering at times. If you have a drop ball pitcher who has more WP/game witch catcher number one over catcher number two, you might team her up with catcher two. But then again, maybe her ERA is lower with catcher one. Then there is win/loss records. So many variables. :)

Mar 20, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Just wanted to say to all the catchers out there...from the bottom of my pitcher DD's heart, WE LOVE YOU GUYS! Especially the ones that will block those balls in the dirt.

Can someone explain Wild Pitch. I haven't heard this term before.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just wanted to say to all the catchers out there...from the bottom of my pitcher DD's heart, WE LOVE YOU GUYS! Especially the ones that will block those balls in the dirt.

Can someone explain Wild Pitch. I haven't heard this term before.

My DD says, "You're welcome". :)

Of course you haven't heard "wild pitch". Pitcher's parents pronounce it "passed ball" ;)

Feb 7, 2013
I have to disagree on balls hitting the dirt automatically being WP. Shouldn't this have the pitch called play into it.

How in the world would a scorekeeper in the stands know what pitch was called and where exactly it should have been located? IMO, give the WP to the pitcher even if she intended to throw it in the dirt. It comes with the territory of being a pitcher.

May 17, 2014
I honestly think it's an insult toward catchers when people say balls in the dirt after crossing the plate should be scored a wild pitch. Its like saying they don't have the ability to stop a ball unless its THROWN right at them. An infielder is expected to defend an area the size of a mini van when the ball is HIT anywhere near them.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I honestly think it's an insult toward catchers when people say balls in the dirt after crossing the plate should be scored a wild pitch. Its like saying they don't have the ability to stop a ball unless its THROWN right at them. An infielder is expected to defend an area the size of a mini van when the ball is HIT anywhere near them.

Different skill sets. Also, ask your infielders how many of them are willing to intentionally use their body to stop a bouncing ball.

Sep 18, 2011
Funny how people think things should be scored. Take a great 1B, she digs most of the balls out of the dirt but those that she can't dig... who gets the error? Of course the player that threw the ball, should be no different with PB vs WP.

To me any ball that hits the dirt and gets by the C should be scored as WP. Now say if the P has a great rise, and it tips off the C glove... then PB

Exactly correct. It's not that complicated.

Sep 18, 2011
Been watching major league baseball for 40 plus years and I have never, EVER, seen a pitch in the dirt scored as a passed ball. Did I mention EVER??? Anyone who takes on the responsibility of keeping book or entering stats in gamechanger should be mandated to study the NCAA scoring guidelines. And if you are keeping book right now or entering stats in GC and you have never studied, I mean REALLY studied the NCAA scoring guidelines, then shame on you.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
For consistent scorekeeping, follow NCAA guidelines. For evaluating catchers, compare the sum of PB + WP (0 is the goal and gold standard).

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Interesting. NFHS stipulates only balls that hit the ground in front of the plate are automatically "wild". I always thought any ball in the dirt was wild whether ahead or behind the plate.

FWIW, this is what I have always used.

Hits the dirt before or on the plate = wild.
Hits the dirt behind the plate outside of the catcher (either side) = wild
Hits the dirt behind the plate in front of the catcher = passed ball.

If a ball hits the dirt behind the plate and in front of the catcher, then they better be able to either catch or block the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad