14U Hitting - Timing The Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 24, 2014
My DD is second year 14U and plays on a pretty strong regional team and a freshman in high school. Looking for suggestions on how to "get on time" or "time the pitcher" while hitting in games. Overall, she had a decent batting average but still struggling to make any improvements in timing pitcher. Her tee work and front toss she's doing well its just when she's in the game. For example, we played an indoor tournament this past weekend. Against this same pitcher, first at bat she got to launch/stride early, then had a lazy swing. Second at bat, against the same pitcher, was late on everything and either swung and miss or fouled off a couple pitches (this pitcher was throwing pretty much same pitches, outside and all were 8-60mph). Hoping to find some strategies, drills, etc to work on during high school ball and get ready for travel ball over the summer.

Jun 8, 2016
Go post some swings in the practical hitting forum if you feel comfortable doing so. It could just be she needs to do a better job in the on deck circle getting her individual timing down or it could be something in her mechanics which is causing the problems (or a combination of both..)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Most likely cause: the front foot is not getting up early enough.
Except for he said she was way early in 1 AB. It is certainly possible you are correct and she just rushed everything because of that and was still early . That said good hitters with good mechanics don't have to be exactly on time on every pitch in order to do damage.

Oct 4, 2018
Timing really is the magic. And one of the last things it seems many learn. We've all seen the beautiful swing off the tee and on front toss. And then not translate to success in games.

The "Three Plate Drill" can be helpful. But honestly, just keep playing and getting reps...

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
You want her normal tee swing (tempo and speed) to match her game swing. She need to dance with the pitcher. Some pitchers are smooth and easy to time, while the herky jerky pitchers seem tougher. Same goes for the pitchers with no negative move. She doesn't have to wait until she is in the on deck circle. Steve Springer "If your not watching pitcher when your not hitting U aren't studying 4 the test-the more u see him the more comfortable u will feel of him"

Nov 18, 2015
1st year 14U - thankfully we haven't seen anywhere near 60 yet. I've been trying to get them to sync up with the pitcher's stride foot. "Start moving [sway / load / stop being a statue, etc.] when she picks her foot up".

When I try to time up the pitcher, it seems to be a good reference point, but I'm not the one in the batter's box, and since it never seems to be an issue with tee or front toss, I often forget to reinforce the idea until the player is down 0-1 and swinging when the ball is already in the mitt.

Aug 20, 2017
Getting the front foot up is the load. Not load then pick your front foot up. Most of the rearward movement you see just prior to foot up is the body preparing to pick the foot up. The earlier the better. That’s what elite hitters do against elite pitching.

Now there are mechanics to picking the front foot up (knee lift) but if your DD is late this fixes it. It takes work. It’s uncomfortable for them to pick it up early. They are vulnerable lol! Get comfortable with it then teach them how to move out in a controlled manner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802